General Area in 94582>Question Details

Cindi Hagley, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA

Anyone have experience with renting out Section 8 housing?

Asked by Cindi Hagley, San Ramon, CA Fri Aug 3, 2007

I'd love to hear your comments...good and/or bad. (This is from a landlord perspective.)

Answers

26
Modelsection8tenant’s answer
I am a single mother with one child. In order to send my child to better school, I applied for section 8. I know that there are some tenants who give section 8 a bad name, but you can not judge us all by a few. I am a full-time college student and I hold a full-time job. My rent has been paid on time every time. I have not given my property managers any problems. Do not characterized your tenants just because they have section 8. We are hard-working people just like everyone else. I am sorry for the problems that some have caused, however that is not because they are on section 8. I am sure that people who are not on section 8 have caused some of the same problems. Maybe you should consider doing a better background check on those that you rent to. Please do not judge a book by its cover.
Oh my Lord! Thank you for speaking up on this matter. You don't know how many times I have heard the word "NO" just because I happen to be a section 8 tenant. I am a single mature adult, I am also in college and hold a job. I have been in property management for an apartment community for four years and I know what it means to take care and have respect for a property and landlord. I am currently looking for an apartment at this moment and am having a hard time just because the words "Section 8" was mentioned. I am so saddened by the fact that people are stigmatizing people.
Flag Wed Mar 5, 2014
i agree i thought about trying to talk a couple into taking section8 but like u said ther are bad tenants who make it bad for the good ones smh
Flag Tue Apr 23, 2013
it comes with all good and bad things in renting but it appears that getting your rent is somewhat more reliable since it comes from the goverment. you can also submit bill for damages to social services and in most insatnces you get your money faster that way. also the tenants that can afford to pay their rent are not always better behaved or better learned then the less fortunate ones...
alabate, absolutely! It's unfortunate that people assume that if you receive government assistance you don't have a job. Simply not true!

As an aside, in the US, if you buy gas or anything made of milk or corn, you're benefiting from government assistance (i.e. society working together)
Flag Tue Jun 10, 2014
I did not know that people can get section 8 if they are working a full time job? was it always like that?
Flag Wed Sep 18, 2013
I have had clients who have owned and managed their own investment properties--apartment complexes, duplexes, fourplexes, etc. I have to say that for those who have rented the units to Section 8 families have seen steady rent from the government. The additional amounts to make up for the rest of the rent comes at times and is absent at other times, it's hard to say. The only thing you can do is just try to prescreen your tenants and get a good feel of whether or not they would be financially responsible when it comes to making their monthly rents. But again, it's hard to say...there are some good actors out there who take advantage of kind landlords.

As a warning though, my clients have also had eviction problems with Section 8 tenants. Evictions are normally expensive and time-consuming already, but if the tenant wants to make it difficult for you then it could take months, perhaps even years to successfully evict the tenant. By then, I can almost guarantee that the interior of the unit will be close to, if not completely, destroyed.

Best of luck to you! I hope you find the best Section 8 tenants out there, there are definitely good tenants, it just takes the extra effort, energy, and time to find them.
Web Reference: http://www.simpluxe.com
I currently have one house rented to a section 8 tenant, and it has been a nightmare. The first annual inspection turned up two holes that were burned in the carpet that was only six month old when she moved in. I had to replace it and then collect from her. Instead of calling me when she had a water and leak in the front yard, she called the inspector. By the time the inspector came out and inspected, then sent me a report in the mail, more than a week had passed. Housing Authority tenants are supposed to attend classes on basic home maintenance, but often what they learn is not reliable information. The tenant insists that she was told to change the AC filter every three months, but in Texas it must be changed monthly. When I checked the unit, the filter was so dirty that no air could pass through it, and it had actually been sucked up into the unit. She wondered why her electricity bill was so high! When I sent her a bill for repairs she filed a grievance with HUD saying that I was taking advantage of her because she was a woman. Interesting that she knew how to contact HUD, but didn’t understand why her kitchen sink would get stopped up if she never ran the garbage disposal. I think I’m going to sell this house and get one in a nicer neighborhood.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 16, 2013
Keep in mind that money doesn't buy intelligence.
Flag Tue Jun 10, 2014
Most of my clients who have investment propeties and lease to section 8 have had no problems.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 10, 2012
i am a home owner,i honestly think section 8 is good.i have rented out my two home to section 8 tenants, i honestly never had a problem with my past renters .they pay there part and they hard working people to so .i think its not good to judge before you put people with section 8 down. but i had problems with regular renters didnt pay on time and and would not want a year lease.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 28, 2012
How hard is it to spell and use proper grammer? I wouldn't want to rent your house if you cannot even perform the most basic tools.
Flag Mon Mar 25, 2013
I am a landlord of a Section 8 house. For the most part it has been good. The tenants are not too bad. The worst part is the HUD inspectors that look over the property every few months to tell you what needs to be fixed. They seem to try and come up with something for the landlord to fix even if there is not a problem. Also, I was once given a long list of 21 items to repair (painting, weather seal doors, replace siding shingle, etc). I had everything repaired. HUD came back to re-inspect (I have a full-time job and was not there for the inspections). They then sent me a note stating that I would not get rent until 4 items were fixed. I tried to contact the inspector via phone and email to see what 4 items she was talking about. No response for several days (email showed she had read note just chose not to respond to me). I send a note to her boss who said she would look into it. A couple of days later the inspector finally told me the 4 items she meant. In her note she stated that it was not her job to indicate what 4 items needed to be fixed but she would tell me anyway. That is crazy! Out of 21 items how was I supposed to know which 4 did not pass inspection?

Ron White
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 24, 2012
I have been frustrated with my Section 8 experiences. It seems there are a few wonderful tenants in that pool, yet most are very difficult to work with. The Sect 8 physical approval of the property, may have you do rediculous modifications to your unit and also may delay your tenant's move in by a few weeks. I feel it is best to upgrade your vacant unit and appeal to a normal tenant looking for that beautiful unit. Then screen for job history and perfect credit. It may take longer, but that is the ideal tenant.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 3, 2007
Mario Pinedo,…, Real Estate Pro in Beverly Hills, CA
Yes it can be a nightmare or the greatest pleasure. Be very careful!
I have a blind lady for about 20 years real pleasure. The rest were just scam artists.
M
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 3, 2007
I'm a disabled father of two children.I have joint legal custody not primary.I have a bot and a girl.I was told I only qualify for a one bedroom.Is that how it works??
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 16, 2014
Renting your property to a section 8 tenant requires the same management as any other rental. The plus is if the tenant presents a problem, you can get help from your section 8 housing representative to fix the issue or possible help you file a claim to recoup some of your damages or expenses. In the past I have had section 8 tenants for many years.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 5, 2014
I rented to a section 8 person in Bakersfield they distorted the property. Section 8 not only would not help me after she had a kitchen fire they abated me so I had to let here time end and did not get paid. She busted the front door and they said it was on me. I can't take her to court as she is now on welfare so she has no money. Do not go section 8 you will regret it. At least in California you will be sorry.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 5, 2014
It really depends on your area. I have rental properties in Dayton and in Cincinnati. I had no problems with Section 8 in Dayton... in face they were some of my better tenants.

On the other hand, Section 8 in Cincinnati was a completely different experience... not because of the tenants but because of the organization. There is way too much to type out here, so I wrote this article hoping it would help people in the future: http://brenandmike.influxentrepreneur.info/section-8-in-cinc…
Sorry, not sure why it flagged my name as "Go Section8". I am not affiliate with Section 8... wanted to make sure that was completely clear. I am an investor in Cincinnati/Dayton area.
Flag Thu Aug 28, 2014
I am a disabled person who is on SSI and going to college. I live in community rental apts within Fremont and Eden Housing gets their money from HUD. They usually do not take Section 8 because they already receive Federal Money for the Apartments. I still having a hard looking for employment. I have face the fact of the rent being raise every year.

Still Hoping
Well, I would buy a home if I can get a job as a Graphic Web Designer.
Flag Tue Sep 3, 2013
HELLO, MY NAME IS JOSE HORTA, I AM A DISABLED, SINGLE, INDEPENDENT AND DRAMA-FREE 55 YEAR OLD QUIET AND FORMAL HISPANIC INDIVIDUAL WITH VERIFIABLE REFERENCES. I HAVE REQUESTED A VOUCHER TO MOVE AND WILL RECEIVE IT BY JUNE 1ST. 2013.
WOULD YOU HAVE SECTION 8 VACANCIES FOR THAT OR AFTER THAT DATE? I AM LOOKING FOR A 1/1 AND MY VOUCHER ALLOWS FOR $798.00 TO START. PLEASE CONTACT ME IF POSSIBLE LETTING KNOW WITH A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF PROPERTY, NEIGHBORHOOD (Little Havana, Gables, Grove, 8th. Street or SW - ZIP 33133, 33134, 33135) AND DEPOSIT AMOUNT. I AWAIT YOUR AFFIRMATIVE REPLY, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

JOSE M. HORTA
786-541-4049
--------------------
HOLA, MI NOMBRE ES JOSE HORTA, SOY UNA PERSONA SOLA DISCAPACITADA, INDEPENDIENTE, 55 AÑOS DE EDAD, MUY TRANQUILO Y FORMAL CON REFERENCIAS
VERIFICABLES. HE SOLICITADO UN VALE O VOUCHER PARA MUDARME A PARTIR DEL
1ro. DE JUNIO 2013. BUSCO UN 1/1 Y MI VOUCHER ES DE $798.00 PARA EMPEZAR.
¿PODRIA USTED INFORMARME SI TENDRA RENTA DISPONIBLE PARA ESAS FECHAS, SI
ES POSIBLE DEJAR SABER CON UNA BREVE DESCRIPCIÓN DE LA PROPIEDAD, BARRIO
(Preferiblemente Pequeña Habana, Calle 8, Gables, Grove o SW) Y REQUISITOS DE DEPÓSITO... ESPERO AFIRMATIVAMENTE SU RESPUESTA Y MUCHAS GRACIAS POR ADELANTADO.

JOSE M. HORTA
786-531-4049
Im an intelligent disabled person who just recently qualified for Sect. 8 and food stamps even. I presently am a homeowner myself but cannot stay due to storm damage/mold etc. I am college educated an artist and I live presently on a small farm with well cared for small dogs and small horses. :) Please dont think that all sect. 8 folks are all the scum of the earth. Some of us could never imagine that we would be needed a fresh start (in my case due to the weather) and we need and want properties that ARENT in THE BAD PART OF TOWN. I personally am looking for a small hobby farm to rent while my home is fixed. I dont do drugs, I dont drink and I dont have welfare babies. I am a RESPONISBLE pet owner. So please...just use your judgement....if someone i toting 14 babies with no daddies as a landlord I would RUN. Pick and choose wisely. There are those of us out here like me, who through no fault of our own, need NICE places to rent that fit our needs-in my case a small farm property as my animals are my family and they dont pee and poop everywhere as people often imagine. Section 8 and PETS should NOT be evil words. Ive also been a landlord myself of my mothers propety and we did a hurry up and rented to the first person who replied. He had 2 large dogs and a child..no problem with that but I didnt like his attitude...still my mom was saying just get it rented. When he didnt pay the rent we showed up and found 19 cats locked in ONE ROOM. (can you imagine the smell!) This was NOT a sect. 8 person. He DESTROYED my mothers house and part of her sanity in her twilight years. So....its beware every which way you turn, rely on your GUT feeling.
CAN YOU HAVE A HOUSE LISTED FOR SALE ( IT HAS A YEAR CONTRACT ON THE CONTRACT) AND RENT IT OUT. NO ONE HAS LOOKED AT THE HOUSE BECAUSE IT IS LISTED AT TOP DOLLAR. MY KIDS WOULD LIKE TO RENT IT UNDERS SECTION 8, BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT THE LAWS ARE IN MN WHEN IT IS LISTED FOR SALE.
Hello,.Im a US Navy Veteran, I am a Voucher holder of a 2 Bedroom unit available ASAP for moving in Sept 2012, looking for Home.Owners in Santa Cruz,.Ca or surrounding areas. I am retired and once.was.a homeless Veteran and I.have lived in current residence for 2 years, great neighboors and great area but Landlord is place the unit for sale. I.am in College, and my family status is 3 in household. I am on fixed income but the fine points of renting to me is : on time payments. 2. HUD will back you in any disputes. 3. I am.a.Veteran, I protected the country I will protect your home. Email me at : saayogi@ymail.com
I'm glad you asked... I actually do not know anything... I recently listed a property here on trulia and was contacted by someone who wanted to know if i would accept section 8... not knowing what that was, i hit the internet doing research and started asking friends...
Just get references and make sure they have not been late of bad people. I am on section 8. have 2 boys and I pay my rent cause no trouble. In fact I have helped out the landlord in difficult times....
Flag Mon May 21, 2012
Section 8 housing is good if the properity owner rents to good people. The corner houes on my street 135th and Stanford Ave in Los Angeles is rented to section single women. I don't know how she pulled this off but it is hell on the neighbors. She parties about every other weekend. The parties get out of control. Last night , the party goers dumped trash in the streets in front of all our houses, raced and burned rubber up and down the street. Two women got in to a knock down drag out fight that spilled out into the streets. noise and loud talk was off the hook. We the neighbors are going to fine out who the owner is and send them a letter about all the goings on. I don't know if they know are care. This women night be a family member or under someone elses section 8. She gives good section 8 people a bad name.
I worked for a Housing Authority in a small midwestern town - we had several Section 8 homes and they rarely became vacant. We were extremely successful in that we kept an open door policy with the owner and the tenants. When we did our annual inspections we made sure they (tenant & landlord) knew what the criteria was and if there were any new laws that may affect them.

It was a win win for everyone involved... I'm sure there are some horror stories out there, but I believe that open communication and understanding the system can produce a successful program.
I have a client who had a lot of investment properties before I worked with him. He decided to do the "section 8" on some, because he had been told, "you collect the money no matter what"- what a nightmare story he had! He had to evict more than I can tell you and is now selling the properties because he got so fed up! Beware- that's all I can say. It is not a cakewalk, that's for sure!
I have represented landlords before with Section 8. The guaranteed rent was terrifc for the landlord for a time The tenant was to pay a small amount additionally, which was inconsistent.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
Section 8 is a wonderful program for renters and investors... if you have patience with paperwork and stay communicative with their administration, you'll be fine. Guaranteed money for a year. My only past problem is that a tenant didn't pay 'their' portion of the rent because section 8 didn't pay 100%... 12 months later they had to be evicted.
The good thing about section 8 is when you have a tenant you get your rent with out problem. However, there is so much paper work and finding qualified tenants can be a chore.
Web Reference: http://carriecrowell.com
I had a major headache with section 8 -- for small rent amount I spent 2 months... and never rented! It was extremely difficult with all papers that Government requires. However, I recently sold a duplex with section 8 tenant that lived there already -- not a problem at all. I totally agree with Mack that it could be pleasure or a nightmare but nothing in between.