General Area in Portland>Question Details

Justin Parki…, Home Owner in Brooklyn, NY

Anyone familiar with Portland OR and Brooklyn NY? If so, can you tell me which neighborhood(s) is the "Park Slope of Portland"?

Asked by Justin Parkinson, Brooklyn, NY Sun Nov 20, 2011

My wife and I have three-year-old twins. We live in Brooklyn and are considering a move to Portland. We'd be in the market for a three bedroom, two bathroom house in an artsy, walkable neighborhood with good schools.

Answers

16
Hey Justin . . . can't say I know the Park Slope of NY, but I do know the areas of Portland.

And getting down to the brass tacks . . . it's all about what your price range is. Unfortunately, or practically speaking, it does boil down to financing and what your family's monthly budget will be comfortable with in a mortgage payment. Even if you're paying cash, you still have your price point and that decides what you can purchase comfortably . . . and where.

From reading some of the answers here, I get a good idea of what Park Slope is all about. The thing with that is, the areas that would be more "Park Slope-like" are in the Downtown area of Portland. Downtown neighborhoods, such as the Pearl, Alphabet Blocks are going to be spendy . . . higher price points.

There are some great city-feel neighborhoods (as opposed to suburbs). Check out BuyersAgentsPortland.com .the "For Sale By Neighborhood" tab and mouse over the the various neighborhoods of Portland -- check out the neighborhoods of NE Portland!! You can look at current listing and get a feel based on price range.

The other questions would be, are you relocating here for employment? Where will you be working and what's the commute like? The twins will be elementary school ready before you know it . . . find a good school is very important too!! Lot's of things to consider in a move.

I help a lot of relocation buyers acclimate to the Metro Portland region. I have helped buyers from NY if that gets me any bonus points!?! ;-)

Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner
EBA Portland, LLC
Exclusive Buyers Agent since 1999
http://www.BuyersAgentPortland.com

The Web Reference has a nice little home in the Alberta Arts neighborhood:
BTW, my step sister, Dierdre, owns Otto at 354 7th Avenue between 10th and 11th. Stop in and tell her I said "hey".
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 20, 2011
Thanks for the replies, everyone! My wife and I would be interested in a house for $300K or less.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 22, 2011
Well Justin, as you can see there is no shortage of opinions and offers to assist. The most productive next step would be for you to provide boots on the ground That way you could actually see some of these neighborhoods we've been tossing out and also check out some of the properties. If you have plans to visit our beautiful corner of the country just let one of us know. ( I, of course, hope you will call me 971-227-4779.) Happy Thanksgiving.
Unless you prefer condos, I wouldnt buy one in Portland. They are always the first to depreciate and the last to come back up when the economy changes. The exceptions will be very swank areas with prices much higher than 300K. Oregon is one of the most depreciating states. Id carefully seek a single family house and not a condo.
If you are a cash buyer, you stand a much better chance of buying a bargain. This will not be a popular suggestion to those agent who specialize in condos, but I cant help it. I wont even list one. Negative attitude? Nope. 32 years experience watching the trends.
Hi there, I talked earlier about my NY Clients buying in a few different parts of Portland, they were both in the 250-350 price range...if you would like to contact them about their home buying experience going from NY to Portland, email me and I will get you in contact with them, they would be happy to share!

PS-I have a condo going on the market Dec 1, in a really great area, (Lloyd Center/Broadway st) -it's going on at $309,000, very NY"ish" condo...AND They were from NY, moved here about 5 years ago and the job is sending them back!

Talk to you soon,
Tracey
trahicks@msn.com
Hello Justin
Being that my entire family is from NY I am very familiar. I have always thought that the Nw reminded me a lot of NY. More specifically the Pearl district. Their are a lot of parks in that area and a great indoor play park for your 3 year old twins!! I am happy to help answer any of your questions. I have several family members in the City and on Long Island that would love to live in Portland! Such a great move!
Heather
Well thats a toughie. Park Slope neighborhood is very dense . Its up against Prospect Park. A REALLY big mixture of architecture. Many Brownstones. Public amenities are many and well known and the area has been voted as top choice by several publications over the years. Its hard to match that here, as Portland has many smaller distinct area. Park Slope is a city unto itself. It can be VERY expensive.

I have to agree with parts of what others have said about first determining your price range. I wouldnt suggest moving to Portland without coming here first to look around. Wish I had done that before moving from California 18 years ago. While a particular area here may have the flavor of what you desire for the residence, the cultural amenities may not be in that neighborhood but close by. Portlands nicer areas will probably give you more bang for the buck, with comparable homes well under the Park Slope areas prices.

I value homes for large banks and mortgage servicers who are in the act of, or are considering, foreclosing. This work takes me all over the city to the extent that I could be a blind taxi driver. I know Portland pricing. The past, current and as much as possible---the future trend on value. Email me so thatI have knowledge of your needs and I can send representations of areas and pricing. marvin.vonrenchler at gmail dot com
I know a little about Park Slope and go to NYC on a fairly regular basis to visit a close friend (just booked my next trip for 12/15/11). I would say the closest thing to Park Slope would be the Irvington neighborhood (directly across the bridge from downtown/the Pearl). I say that because people moved to Irvington to be
close to city center without spending as much $$$ (much like people move to Park Slope to lessen housing expenses. However, that being said, there are several close-in SE/NE 'hoods that could meet your needs. I own several investment properties in N/NE areas and could be a resource. Let me know if I can help!
Janeese Jackson, Principal Broker
Real Estate Resource
Web Reference: http://fabulousportland.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 20, 2011
There are likely more than a dozen different neighborhoods that you may find attractive for your family. Each have their own claim to fame in the Portland area. Such as, Hawthorne for its theaters and restaurants, Sellwood for its popular walkability / boutique and art shopping, Northwest for its proximity to downtown and all the amenities. All have wonderful parks close by. Like Tracey said below, it's going to come down to what's affordable for you. But most of these areas has a variety of pricing to choose from. For more neighborhood information, try portlandonline.com and look for different neighborhood information and locations.

Have fun and I hope this helps.
The area you are referring to is a small park, probably in the "West Slope" area west of Portland, and in Washington County. It is an "area" as opposed to a neighborhood. There is a highway sign heading west on Hwy 26 with an exit West Slope, but no reference to this area in the Thomas Guide. I could drive there :)

Multnomah County has almost 800,000 residents. Many fun neighborhoods in this area, and houses in all price ranges. Same for all the counties. Metro Oregon is really big or neighborhoods and I believe there are over 150 separate neighborhoods. Metro Portland, if you count all the cities that are close like Lake Oswego, Clackamas, Milwaukie, Beaverton, Tigard, etc., has millions of residents.

The park system started a program in the early 90's called 20/20, where the idea was to create parks all over the area where each resident would live within 15 minutes or 1/2 mile from a Park. The latest statistics are they have met about 77% of this goal. But, maybe the economy will pick up and they can finish it up!
Great answers, but it's also going to depend on price range and your wants and needs in a house. a couple years ago I had 3 different clients all from NY buy and the ones from Hoboken bought in the SE Brooklyn area and the ones from Brooklyn NY bought in N overlook neighborhood.

Have Fun and let me know if you need anything else!
Tracey Hicks
Hi Justin,

From what you are describing, I'd say one of the neighborhoods on Portland's east side (Clinton, Alberta, Hawthorne) or the NW 23rd neighborhood could fit the bill. Might depend on which aspects of Park Slope are most appealing to you though. There are a lot of walkable neighborhoods in Portland. My partner is a native New Yorker who has lived in several different areas in New York including Carroll Gardens. She made the move to Portland some years ago and loves it.

Feel free to contact me if you want more info and good luck!

Jennifer
jennifersultan@gmail.com
Ha! Interesting question. I can't anwer it because I don't know Brooklyn. But lots of great neighborhoods in POrtland.
Probably Laurelhurst. Older homes, the park, good walkability, a fair number of small businessess and definitely a neighborhood feel. Of course it doesn't have the brownstones or the Brooklyn Bridge.