General Area in Denver>Question Details

Jim Strick, Other/Just Looking in Denver, CO

Any thoughts on the Green Valley Ranch area in Denver? Good or bad? A friend has told me there are a lot of short sales in that area, but I want to

Asked by Jim Strick, Denver, CO Sun Feb 28, 2010

know what other people think of the area. Thanks.

Answers

12
Hello Jim,

Here's a link that may be of help in answering your question: http://www.coloradohomes.com/property/propertydetailscommuni…
That's a bit long, if it doesn't work just go to our website and pull up a listing in Green Vallery Ranch and then go to community. It will tell you things like how many homes are in the community, the grades the schools are getting, the medium household income, the medium age of residents, etc. We're supposed to have a nice weekend coming up again, it's always a great idea to take a walk around the neighborhood and talk to people who are out and about, tell them you're thinking of moving there and ask what they like and don't like. You may find people on citydata.com who can tell you more too.

Many of our Buyers are zeroing in on Green Valley Ranch. They have all been wanting about the same things, Under $200,000, 1500 Square Feet or more, 3 plus Bedrooms and newer homes with no or very little work. We Sold one couple their dream home back in November, they got a great deal on it. We currently have a Short Sale Pending Bank Approval for another couple and another couple who has made 5 offers on homes and even though we have explained to them that they need to be aggressive on their offers they are still getting outbid every time. What does that tell you? Multiple offers on every home that we have offered on. There's very few non short sale homes available in Green Valley right now. Low Supply and High Demand is driving prices up. Will it last after the tax credit ends? I sure don't know, but for those trying to get the tax credit it's the same story in all of the areas my current Buyers are shopping in around the Denver metro area.

One more thing about Green Valley, I can tell you that I have lots of friends living in Green Valley who like it a lot. Many years ago, I worked for the airlines and quite of lot of airline and airport employees live there and Reunion. Our Team knows the area well and would be happy to answer any other questions if you want to contact us.

Good Luck on your search,

Sandy Kinslow
The Kinslow Team
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Greenwood Village
Jim,

Green Valley Ranch is one of the primary areas that I work. I actually lived in Green Valley Ranch from 2001 to 2008 in the Bradford Village community by the GVR Golf Course. I was out there yesterday showing homes for several hours. My wife and I loved the area and the home we lived in until we moved back to Park Hill 2 years ago.

Most of the homes are built by Oakwood Homes. The latest building projects there were from the mid 90's to the mid 2000's. We had our home build in 2001 and we moved in 3 weeks afte 9-11. During this period of time lenders were strongly encouraging the negative amortization loans with variable interest rates. So over the next several years many homes went into foreclosures and many were sold as short sales. 2 years ago there were dozens ov foreclosures and short sales, especially in the $100,000 to $200,000 price range.

Today there are just a few foreclosures or short sales available at any time in the area. When they do come on the market it is a matter of days (sometimes 1 or 2 days) before they go under contract. The homes in GVR are in such demand right now that prices that hit bottom are definitely on the rise now with such low supply.

I would highly recommend the area due to the size and quality of the homes for the price you pay. Oakwood homes motto is 'More House, Less Money' and that certainly is the case. If you would like to know more about the homes, values, trrends, and availablilities; don't hesitate to contact me. I have done extensive research in the area and can send you info by email and will be glad to take you on a tour of homes and the neighborhood. Some of the other great features of GVR are its diversity, the world class golf course, a pool, rec center, shopping, close to highways, a new K-12 school opening in 2010 and much more.

Robert McGuire, ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
3900 E. Mexico Ave. #1350
Denver CO 80210
Direct; 303-669-1246
http://www.rmcguire.yourcastle.org
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 28, 2010
You can get a LOT of house for the money in Green Valley Ranch. Great for 1st time buyer. Drive through there, get a feel for it. Great if you work at DIA or on the east side of town.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 28, 2010
Just made an offer on a home in Green Valley Ranch, got it accepted the same day it went on the market. The next morning the other Realtor's received 3 other offers one for cash.
We have lived in Green Valley Ranch for 3 years and love it. Got into a 2000 sq ft house for 160k. We like living away from the city as its much quieter out in Green Valley Ranch. We have not had any problems with break ins however some of the kids in the neighborhood do get a little rowdy here and there but I think that is expected in about any neighborhood.

It is true, the HOA is kind of a pain the ass but what HOA isn't?

With the new light rail being built and the area developing quickly you will easily see a huge return on your investment as our home has already increased drastically. Now is the time to buy in Green Valley Ranch - and if you're driving its only about a 30 minute drive anywhere, which anymore seems about standard no matter where you live in Denver.
We have lived here for about 5 years now and can say it is by far and away the worst place to live. The covenant protected areas are ridiculous. We have 3 separate HOA's that govern us and all of them are money hungry piles of crap that do nothing but hound you. Want new windows for your house? It must be approved and you have few options to choose from, want a new roof or to paint your house or even do some landscaping? Have a weed growing in your yard, pain the fine, but our neighbor has had nothing but dead grass and dirt for his yard since we moved in and they do nothing. Pay $50 and have your plan approved. Crime is horrible we have had our car broken into 4 times. Someone stole our dog, people just throw trash in your yard. STAY AWAY FROM GREEN VALLEY RANCH, you will regret the day you moved here. We are counting the days until we can sell and get the hell out of here.
Jim,
Your intent and exit stategy are key here. If you plan to purchase, use as along term rental, and hold for many years... then great area. Or if you are buying the property for your own enjoyment as an owner/occupant. Property values have decreased so drastically in Green Valley Ranch that it will take an extended period of time (more than 5 years) to turn the property if you plan to fix and sell.
Sara Gerber
Jim,
The answer depends on intent and strategy. Are you looking to buy or rent. Is it a long-term or a short-term investment. Let me know and I will be glad to help.
Derrek
303-470-9880
derrek.patrick@coloradohomes.com
Mr. Strick:
There are an inordinate number of short sales and foreclosures; mostly due to poor financial decisions by lenders and borrowers - especially first time buyers. What it amounts to is some great buying opportunities whether you're an investor or owner occupied purchaser. Not a good time to sell in the area but great for a buyer who'll keep the home for several years.

Tim Klein
Broker
Metro Brokers - The Realty Werks
303.973.7600
Jim, There are a lot of short sales, bank owned, and foreclosed homes in Green Valley Ranch. As long as this doesn't bother you, you can get a really great deal on a home in Green Valley Ranch right now. If I can be of further assistance, let me know. Thanks, David
Jim-
Green Valley Ranch does have many short sales...your friend is correct. It is an area that will take some time to recover from several years of a bad economy in addition to slower growth in the area than anticipated. "Buy and Hold" is the strategy that I feel works best for the average homeowner. It is a great location for easy access to the airport and downtown. Long term, it will porbably be a good investment and in the meantime a nice place to live.
Please call me tio discuss this area or others in Denver. Each Buyer ahs their own end goal. Best to determine that first then choose the area that meets that criteria.
Look forward to hearing from you
check out my website...
http://www.BuyDenver.net
Kimberly Ryan
303-523-8333
Keller Williams Realty Success
Web Reference: http://www.BuyDenver.net
Did you know that real estate agents can't say whether an area is 'good' or 'bad', without the risk of getting in some pretty serious trouble? We are supposed to avoid 'steering' people into or out of particular neighborhoods, because there has been such awful abuse of the system in the past. We can answer questions such as how much is this house worth? Are houses in this neighborhood going up in value or down? What percentage of distressed sales have there been? What is the absorption rate? How many days on market is the average for this neighborhood? 'Good' and 'bad' are qualitative issues, and you should make those determinations for your self. Check school quality reports, crime reports, look at nearby business and commercial zones - are they bustling or full of empty buildings? Stroll the neighborhood on the weekend and talk to residents as they are out and about.