General Area in Long Beach>Question Details

Joe Mendez, Real Estate Pro in Long Beach, CA

Any thoughts on Mike Ferry vs Tom Ferry?

Asked by Joe Mendez, Long Beach, CA Fri Dec 19, 2008

I went to a seminar of Mike Ferry, a half day seminar in Garden Grove a couple of weeks ago. But somehow, I stumbled across Tom Ferry the following day. I am curious to find out what would be the difference in the two. I know it is father and son. But from a real estate prospective, which is better? If that is a fare question.

Answers

26
Hi Joe,

I have been attending Mike Ferry events since 1998. I haven't seen Tom's seminars since he left his fathers company about 3-4 years ago, but I always like him and his brother Matt. From the agents I speak to that do see Tom, they say his style is less aggressive than Mike's, but similar. Attending either of these seminars is going to help your business and more than pay for itself if you apply just some of the ideas and techniques they teach. Over the years, the theme of Mikes seminars has stayed consistant, but he will change it to fit the market. I will also say that Mike was preparing agents for the buyer/foreclosure market back in 2006, long before most agents understood the market was changing. Because of my backround in Title, before real estate, I had the opportunity to work with many top agents and brokers in Los Angeles county. Many of them use the techniques, scripts, and ideas that Mike teaches. Even though some of the information at each event may be redundant, most will agree they come home with a few new ways to improve their business.

Good Luck,
Jeremy Lehman
Century 21 Beachside
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 19, 2008
As the foremost expert on Real Estate sales techniques, training and motivation, Mike and his company lead dozens of seminars and retreats every year. Real Estate agents, mortgage professionals, title representatives and business executives have increased their production and profit because of the skills and mindset they learned through Mike Ferry. According to Mike, “The business is great because the results agents get from working with us are exceptional. Agents want to know how to sell more homes in less time and that is exactly what we teach them.” the dogmatic tried and true.

Prior to taking the helm at TomFerry-yourcoach Tom served as President of the Mike Ferry Organization for five years, raising the company's revenues from $8 million to $40 million.

While growing MFO (The Mike Ferry Orginization), Tom built a sizable personal clientele of high-end agents and brokers. Like those who have had the opportunity to be individually coached by the likes of Tony Robbins or Brian Tracy, Tom's super-achieving clients find in their young coach a wisdom and depth of understanding that belies his age. Perhaps the greatest gift he gives these clients is that of finding a new, healthier balance in their lives.

Tom's MFO experience coupled with his unique motivational skills deeply inform Tom's new, independent venture. "We all must learn the lessons of our mistakes and failures," Tom says. "In that way, we turn breakdowns into breakthroughs." living your life and business by design.

His charisma, discipline and flexibility, along with his ability to train coaches to teach powerful activity-based new and inovative marketing techniques, Incorperating the old and the new with a seamless modern spin, and inspired some of today's rising starts.

The world unfolds exactly as it's supose to.

just ask Chris Goodmanson of Long Beach http://www.chrisgoodmanson.com
5 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 19, 2008
I recently listened to a pod cast where Tom was being interviewed....Real Estate Tomato I believe.
Someone asked Tom if he has ever sold real estate.....he wouldn't answer the question. The guy who was asking asked him again and he finally admitted....that he has never sold real estate.

Is it just me...or does it seem really wrong that someone who is claiming to be a real estate coach...has never sold real estate? Am I missing something? He may be a smooth salesman but, please....don't pretend to be something or someone you aren't!
Tom Ferry sold real estate seminars and programs for his father, Mike Ferry. He knows skills, mindset and how to get results. With 38 years in this business, I find the perspective on "Life By Design" that Tom brings to the table to be refreshing and financially rewarding. He is a genuine caring person who walks his talk. I would suggest that you attend one of his programs, then you can see for yourself what Tom stands for. There is no pretension present.
Flag Tue Jan 7, 2014
I have seen them both. Mike Ferry is not up with the times and does the same seminar he did in 1991. Tom Ferry is cutting edge with todays market and technology. He appeals to young and old.
4 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 26, 2008
In all the time it's taken you all to research and read all of this... how many calls do you think you could have made? (just sayin)
Thanked
Flag Fri Sep 13, 2013
Just in case you're still wondering:
Mike bases his training on prospecting - mostly by phone. Expireds, FSBO, Just Listed Just Sold, door knocking. All you have to do 2-3 hours a day, is to call. Figure out your contact/appointment/listing ratio, then you know how many contacts to make per day to reach your annual goal.

Tom bases his training on the internet. Facebook and so on. He believes that you can find clients using the internet.
Why not do both?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 9, 2012
Tom Ferry is the way to go. I have been in the business since 2005 and had seen Mike Ferry on 3 occasions. I eventually had to yawn and move on from hearing the same stuff over and over. I could of just recorded the event and listened to it later versus wasting my time attending this cocky & over the hill speaker. I could see Mike around 100 years from now as a statue with his seminar recording coming out of his mouth! It would be no different.

After seeing Tom FERRY last year, I was like; THANK GOD! Because business has tripled and this market is not the best.

Thanks Tom!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 21, 2011
I have also seen them both. I was rather put off by Mike Ferry's ego. Tom Ferry is far more sincere. He is also up with the times. SEO, Social Networks, Technology, REO’s, Short sales and getting business right now in this economy. Tom Ferry is the way to go.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 2, 2009
I have to agree Tom Ferry is more cutting edge .
http://www.chrisgoodmanson.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 26, 2008
Check both of them out. Different strokes for different folks. I am curious though . . . have either of them EVER sold a house? Never seen anything on this.

Whatever you decide to do . . . commit to it! Mike Ferry, Tom Ferry, Brian Buffini, Joe Stumpf, Howard Britton, etc. it all works as long as you do.
All of these are great answers. But they all are ignoring the 800 pound gorilla in the room. I am talking about THE CAREER COMPASS. Nothing against Mike or Tom...good men both of them. But COMPASS not only teaches amazing prospecting and marketing techniques but at the same time RENEWS your license. Then you get to come back anytime for free for life and renew you license. There is nothing out there like it. However, I was at THE CAREER COMPASS and I spoke to one their trainers and he did say that COMPASS (since they dont do coaching) suggest Tom Ferry, Craig Procter and Buffini. Anyway, regardless of which one you go to (Tom or Mike), COMPASS should be a no-brainer.
Both Mike and Tom have valuable information for me when I am open to learn something new or to be reminded of what I already know! 35 years in the business and I know that Tom could out produce me any day anywhere without having ever sold real estate.
Mike Ferry is the dinosaur of real estate. His son Tom Ferry is more in tuned with how real estate is done with social media. Tom Ferry coach was very helpful make me close more deals. I can't believe Mike Ferry would have his employees put down his son business Tom Ferry. Pretty bad when you have to bad mouth the competition who is his son to get more sales. Both have lot to teach that helps real estate agents meet their goals with plan of action.
Mike doesn't put Tom down- where did that come from?
Flag Fri Feb 28, 2014
I think any coaching program is better than Mike Ferry- too rigid, old scripts and 20 other agents in the same town using exact same scripts. You can getting other coaching programs for far less money than Mike Ferry O- if you are in a very small town with no other agents using MF coaching or a very large market, where you have a chance of talking to leads that haven't already heard the exact same script 10 times before you- then he is fine. Otherwise much better and less expensive programs.
I've found both to be very informative. I don't use Mike's scripts verbatim but I do call and get expired listings by using my own custom scripts that are similar. I also like Tom's ideas on Farming, Social Networking, using the internet, etc. etc. Take what you want from either and apply it to your business plan. I am sure that you will see positive results.
Mike Ferry is the greatest real estate coach on the planet. More agents have made more millions using his system than anyone elses. It is not for everyone because it requires work and disipline.

Tom Ferry is a mind control, NLP, conversational hypnosis expert. He has never sold real estate and knows NOTHING about the business. If he points at me and uses those NLP techniqies one more time I'll snap his finger like a chicken bone. His kind are experts at sucking the money out of the agents that fall into their claws. He provides no value. His job is to create more Zombie Real Estate Agents that he can pull into his "coaching" program. He is a typical NLP "Master". They only want the clients money. Just another con man.
Hi Joe,

Old question...but interesting comments. I have seen Tom and enjoyed him. I also gave his book to a young man who really needed to hear his story.

So.....not sure if that's helpful or not. :)

Karen
Mike Ferry talks just none sence.... he tells you to prospect everyday and just spend all your time prospecting and when you get a lead just blow it away as soon as you can... its just non sence and wast of time...
Tom Ferry is much more senceable ...and good trainer.../////
Tony Fernendes
Re/Max
I think Tom will win in the sixth round.
He is younger and has a longer reach.
Mike has been resting on his laurels for quite a bit and hasn't trained that hard lately.
Mike does retreats. Tom is doing cutting edge training.
I think it will be a K O. in the sixth.
I attended Mike Ferry seminars and workshops from 1993 - 1999 and he rocked. He was cocky and he was arrogant and he didnt take no for an answer. He also had his sons Matt and Tom. They were there to learn their dad's business - period - end of story. Mike is the real deal - he has sold real estate he knows what worked back in the day. Matt and Tom haev never sold real estate a day in their lives, but they grew up listening to their dad over and over and over and they probably knew the scripts as well as he did. They were also around the "Superstars" - people who worked Mike's system. Did they ever sell real estate - no. Could they out produce you in your market simply prospecting and using the scripts -YES. Real Estate isnt a hard business - its actually very simple - the more people you talk to, the more opportunities you have to list or sell and the more opportunities you have the more money you make. It ain't brain surgery
i MET mIKE fERRY IN 1992 AND i AM SO GLAD i DID. i HAD THE PLEASURE OF WORKING WITH HIM AND HIS SONS. mIKE WAS A PERSONAL TRAINER AND HE DEVELOPED THE TOP PRODUCEERS IN REAL ESTATE,
I WAS SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE OF MIKE. BUT TODAY IN THE TELECOM INDUSTRY I AM KNOW FOR MY DIALOGUE WHICH I LEARNED FROM MIKE.
THERE IS NO COMPARISON BUT ONLY IN AMERICA DO WE HAVE A WAY OF PUTTING SON AGAINST FATHER. OUTSIDE OF AMERICA WE ARE TAUGHT SON IS NOTHING WITHOUT FATHER. I REMEMNER WHEN MIKE WOULD NOT LET TOM WOTK FOR HIM UNTIL HE WORKED ON HIS APPEARANCE. AND LOOK WHERE THE FOUNDATION OF HIS FATHER HAS TAKEN HIM
It's true. Tom has never sold Real Estate. I have been to Mike's week long seminar and was very successful from it. Later on I attended a Seminar with Matt and he said he's never sold Real Estate and could beat anyone in the room on a listing appointment, I almost took him up on the offer.

I would stick to Mike
Is that really true....he has never sold real estate?
Hi Joe,

First thanks for taking the time to check our event out! I hope you got some great info out of it! Let's get connected on Facebook http://(www.facebook.com/tomferry) or Twitter (@coachtomferry) ... if we're not already!

Remember, now more than ever, your strategy matters and passion rules!

TF
Web Reference: http://www.yourcoach.com
I have to agree. Tom is relevant current ... and most importantly tells me what to do to make money. Just got back from his event in Long Beach and 3 deals later I am sold!

Palm Desert here I come for his Success Summit in August! I will be in the front row!

Thanks Tom!
Mike Ferry is the real deal, WOW his new event Sale's Talk is power. I been selling real estate for 2 years now and following the MFO system as made me a super star agent selling 50 homes.