General Area in Tenafly>Question Details

Sonia, Home Buyer in Tenafly, NJ

Any reason why we can't buy a 1930 construction?

Asked by Sonia, Tenafly, NJ Thu Jan 26, 2012

Answers

6
I completely agree with my counterparts who have already answered you. I myself own a center hall colonial built in 1926, it was very well-built but neglected until we acquired it in 1986 and we have updated it completely over the years. You just can't get that kind of chestnut molding, high ceilings, oak floors, arched doorways and thick beams these days! You see, much of Bergen County exploded in growth soon after the George Washington Bridge began to be built in 1925, and many of these homes were stately colonials or Tudors, which abound in towns like Teaneck, Tenafly, Ridgewood, Oradell, etc. Many home inspectors tell me the older homes are better built than those which were built after 1960.

If you are looking for a realtor who appreciates the character and charm of an older colonial, give me a call!
Dear Sonia,

No there should be no reason you cannot consider buying a 1930 construction. In a town such as Tenafly there is a wide variety of beautiful homes constructed in that era. Most of those homes have been lovingly taken care of thru the generations. If you still feel a bit uneasy, consider hiring an inspector to look at the home before you make an offer.
I hope you will feel confident in your purchase.

Joan Mintz
Agent
Tenafly
Sonia,

Not any reason that I can think of without knowing more of your situation. If you are just asking in general if you can buy a house built in 1930 - sure why not? Unless there's something limiting your buying options, I see no reason why you cannot buy a home constructed in 1930.

Yes your question seems to be missing the reason why you believe you can not buy an older construction! Hard to tell since most of houses sold in Bergen county are older homes at least the homes I sell. Some are completely renovated and gutted and some are in good condition and others in poor condition depending on the care and updates. Some new constructions may have more issues than older homes and most inspectors I have dealt with agree with this. Some contractors do not follow construction codes and leave new home with code violations. Well good luck in your purchase!
I agree with Peter. So many of the older homes are fabulous.
Add Mountain Lakes to the list of town with great older homes.

Any home built earlir than 1978 will probably have lead paint.
That isn't to say its a problem.
Your home inspector can advise you in those matters.

And pay special attention to any additions that were built.
In a number of towns like Ridgewood, Teaneck, Montclair and so on many of the houses were built before 1930 so there is normally no obstacle to buying an older house. In fact they were often better built than those built today.
.There is not usually any difficulty in obtaining finance either.