General Area in Akron>Question Details

Joe, Home Buyer in Cleveland, OH

Akron area south of Market Street

Asked by Joe, Cleveland, OH Sat Aug 15, 2009

How is the area of Akron south of Market street near West Point Market. Specifically around Westover and Jefferson streets? I was thinking of buying in this area after seeing all the beautiful stately homes with such great classic architecture. Was wondering if the area is still nice , stable or declining?

Answers

10
Unfortunatley , the same problem exists in Shaker Heights. The ghetto is creeping in and destroying this once prestigious city. Cleveland Hts and University Hts have also fallen prey to crime and "ghettoization"
What a shame.!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 6, 2009
I'm really sorry to hear this area is so crime ridden. Something really should be done to save this area.
You just can't find the same craftmanship or unique architectural st yle in today's homes. Living in the burbs is such a generic boring option. Bath , Copley, Cuyahoga Falls, etc, just have no charcter or charm.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 5, 2009
well said wpb.
nobody can fault you because everything you said is the ABSOLUTE TRUTH.

akron has got to get a control on crime.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 5, 2009
that is right on the border of good and bad.
the more you can go also to the west the better you will be.
good luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 16, 2009
good luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 16, 2009
Ok.....I personally own a residence in THAT specific area you are talking about and have never had an issue. The location is convenient to the university, the highways, and quaint businesses. The homes are so unique and have LOADS of CHARACTER that you just can't recreate today.
It is funny, though, because some of my own acquaintances who live in some of the OTHER areas mentioned throughout some of the other responses here HAVE had issues and I have not! Kind of funny how WRONG people can be - as well their perceptions.
Just as an aside -*I was named as being in the Top 5% of All Realtors in the Nation last year, so if I would personally own a residence there what does that tell you?
*Finally, keep in mind, that lenders classified ALL of Northeastern Ohio as a 'declining market' this past year due to declining home values across the country.
what about shaker heights?
they have awesome older homes?
And VERY HIGH taxes.........................................
this is a great area. generally well maintained and lots of different styles, sizes and ages to choose from. area is currently bargain priced. some foreclosure impact. quite a bit of price decline as all of Akron has had but a very stable owner occupied neighborhood.
Hi Joe-

Yes, this has always been a very stable area and the homes are great back there. Akron in general is pretty stable compared to the rest of the country. We don't see the steep increases in property value, so there's very little downside. Shoot me an email or call if you have any other questions about the area. Happy to hel p anytime.

Ken