Foreclosure in Howell>Question Details

Jeff, Other/Just Looking in Howell, MI

who do i call to start cleaning out foreclosed homes in michigan?

Asked by Jeff, Howell, MI Wed Apr 8, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


Hey Jeff,

I'm glad you are here! There are two ways you can go about finding "trash-out" business for REO properties. You can choose one or do both.

1. Passive- Register as a vendor through many of the banks websites. You can search this information online usually falls under the terms "property preservation". Once you are registered, the agents who list these properties are sometimes required to use a list of approved vendors. Get ready to spend some serious time filling out applications online! The work might come, it might not.

2. Active- Get in front of the agents who are listing these properties. Keep in mind these agents are very busy people. You will have one shot if any to make your mark. So be ready to offer services, have numbers ready, prove the added value of your service as opposed to the company they have been using for years. I think your best bet would be to start hunting squirrels rather than buffalo. Find someone who may have a few properties and is actively working to acquire more REO listings and grow with them.

I hope this was some help for you, if you do need further assistance drop me a line. How long have you been in the business? have you tried either of these approaches yet?

Best Wishes,

Jeremy Sulak
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 8, 2009
who do i call to start doing clean outs and locks changes and trash outs
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 30, 2013
Hi Jeff, I am an REO broker and have been for over 22 years. A lot has changed in that time. When I first started I was required to find my own trashout and cleaning crews, but about 13 years ago the banks started using contract workers. Now all of my trashouts are handled by the bank's national contracts. Currently in the area there are 2 main trashout / maintenance companies covering Michigan. One is AMS (has the contract with Fannie Mae) and the other is Safeguard (has contract with Bank of America and other companies). I know AMS has been hiring; they have a local office in Farmington Hills / Livonia area. Typically as contractor you are required to handle the initial trashout and cleaning then the remedial maid service on a monthly basis, until the property sells. The pace is quick but there are a lot of opportunities for the right company. Feel free to contact me if you would like.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 9, 2013
Talk with a realtor who handles foreclosures reo
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2013

Jeremy gave you a great answer, and very thorough. I will second his suggestion that you contact listing agents. Once you have a few that will give you references, it is much easier to get more work. If you are reliable and honest word will get out. I used to get most of my vendors from other agents who had had positive experiences with someone.

Best of luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 9, 2010
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
I agree with the answer below. You will need to spend a good amount of time filling out online vendor applications. Here's an article (see below) that can help guide you in your foreclosure cleanup business.

Good luck!

Cassandra Black, Consultant & CEO, Foreclosure Cleanup, LLC
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 6, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer