Brat, Other/Just Looking in Colorado Springs, CO

where can i get a list of property tax siezures in colorado?

Asked by Brat, Colorado Springs, CO Fri Aug 6, 2010

Answers

5
This seems like convenient venue to explain that property taxes in Colorado DO NOT operate the way they do on the "get a house for $500" infomercials.

Property Taxes in Colorado are collected on an Annual Basis, however a property must be 3 years in arrears in it's property taxes before it goes to a tax sale. About 97% of properties are redeemed before then.

Further, property tax liens supersede virtually every other lien on a property, so they get paid off first when the house is sold.

Additionally, almost every mortgage in Colorado for about the last 15 to 20 years or so requires the escrow of funds with monthly payments to ensure that the property taxes get paid...again, because property taxes supersede virtually all other loans on the property.

In El Paso County, the largest county by population in the state of Colorado, according to the County Treasurer who is responsible for collecting property taxes and tax liens, about 97% of properties that are delinquent in their property taxes are brought current and never go to tax sale. So the likelihood of a property being sold at tax sale is very slim and the properties that would go to tax sale would most likely be properties that are owned free and clear or one with a very old loan prior to when home loans began requiring escrow of property taxes.

All that being said, the County Treasurer's Office does have a list of properties that are in arrears on their property taxes where you can pay the taxes and buy the lien for the year(s) the property is in arrears. Even though the likelihood of getting the property through a tax sale after the property has gone 3 years delinquent is very small, when the taxes are brought current...as in about 97% of the cases...you are entitled to receive the amount of your lien plus around 10% (in 2009)...which varies year to year. So, even though you most likely won't end up with the property, you get a good rate of return on your investment...much better...and I would argue safer... than virtually any other investment out there at the moment to be sure.

For more information see the El Paso County Treasurer's Website
Frequently Asked Questions: http://trs.elpasoco.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions.htm
More Information: http://trs.elpasoco.com/Tax_Lien_Sale.htm

Good Luck
Brian L. A. Wess
CRS, GRI, ABR, ASR, CSR, SFR, e-PRO
Realtor®, Broker Associate
Residential & Investment Property Specialist
Pat Newell & Associates, Inc - Metro Brokers
Colorado Springs, CO
Direct: 719-528-6672
Web: BrianWess.com
COLORADO REAL ESTATE...DONE RIGHT!â„¢
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 6, 2010
you can check at the court house they have it on public record
Personally, I've never seen an actual "list" of tax-seixured homes. Honestly, most tax liens get bought out by investors way ahead of time. I deal with the foreclosure markets directly. If I can help, let me know. Tom Lazzaro: tom@tomlazzaro.com.
Oh No! Was the "buy the Tax Siezures" infomercial on TV again. I got an email about this today as well. Check with the County.
Brian
http://www.highlandsranchexpert.com
Hi, tax lien property sales are done by county. You can search individual counties and here is the link for El Paso County (Colorado Springs area). If you need more information please let me know.

Kelly

719-226-0126
Red Rock Realty