Foreclosure in Rockledge>Question Details

P Jackson, Other/Just Looking in Rockledge, FL

what is a tenants rights when renting property and served papers that the property is in foreclosure?

Asked by P Jackson, Rockledge, FL Mon Mar 9, 2009

would like to know how much notice can i give my landlord since she hasn't paid the mortgage and the property is in foreclosure she didnot notify me as the tenant that she wasn't paying her mortgage.

Answers

2
Dear P Jackson,

#1 Read your leasing contract. You are still obligated to pay rent to the owner. You keep paying to get your deposit back. You can be taken to court for non payment under the lease agreement. The owner can say that you haven't paid the rent that is why they were not paying the mortgage.

#2 Until the bank actually forecloses you have the right to be there and no one from her bank or anyone else can throw you out until the house is totally foreclosed. This can take up to 1 year. But make sure you are informed of every step, of the foreclosure process and when you should make plans to move.

#3 Contact the owner or management company that you are paying the rent to and make sure they get the letter. The bank or mortgage company should not be contactting you what so ever. Do not call the number on the notice, until you speak with the owner and or whom ever you pay the rent to. Then if you do not get an answer that satisfies your questions, then and only then I would contact the phone number on the letter form the bank and ask to speak to someone in that department. Tell them whop you are and you need to be informed when each step occurs so you have time to look for another place.

#4 No matter what, you must follow the lease agreement to the letter and so is the owner supposed to. If it was done by the owners lawyer. make sure you contact them and find otu what is going on and how and when this is going to affect you. Keep informed.

#5 The next best thing after this is contact a Real Estate Lawyer and explain to them what is happening and so forth. If you contact me I will give you the name and phone number of a very good Real Estate Attorney
This is something that is happening too much in today's market. You are not alone. Go online to http://www.rentalforeclosure.com and see information that may help you.

Good Luck
Eric