Foreclosure in 08225>Question Details

Pink07, Other/Just Looking in 08330

ive been livingin a rental in nj for a yr now. we signed a 2 yr lease with this man who claimed to b the owne

Asked by Pink07, 08330 Sun Jul 12, 2009

Answers

5
i would have a title report ran to see who the exact owners are.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 19, 2012
Contact the NJ Department of the Public Advocate at 609-826-5070. IMy office in Northfield, so give me a call if you have questions.

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Atlantic Shore
609-384-6121
Laura@JerseyShoreViews.com
Pink07,

It appears that you may have fallen victim to a rental scam. These scams are most frequently directed at vacant properties. I am currently working with the National Association of Realtors regarding these issues so that they can develope way to prevent this from happening.

PLEASE, PLEASE contact me direct to share your story. The only way to put a stop to these matters is through the voices of those who have fallen victim!

Love and Peace,
Francesca, Realtor, ePro
Francesca@Patrizio.com
732.606.2931
Web Reference: http://www.Realtor.com
You can determine who the legal owner is by going to your city or county tax records office. Many jurisdictions have that information online, too, though it's sometimes a few months out of date.

If you had an earlier lease with the owner, and now someone new has come along claiming to be the owner, your obligation (I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice) is to abide by the terms of the original lease until you KNOW that the person claiming to be the new owner is, in fact, the owner. There are scams out there where someone shows up claiming to have bought the property, and requesting that you send payment to him at a new address. The fact that you pay money to the new person doesn't relieve you of your lease obligations to pay the true owner.

Best way to start is to contact the person you know had owned the property. Ask him whether ownership transferred. Also, as suggested, check the city or county tax records. Only after you're sure that the person with whom you signed that 2 year lease is the true owner should you start making payments to him.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Your question got cut off. I'll try to help you, call me at 800-916-2289.
Mike Rayno
Prudential Fox & Roach