Foreclosure in 48025>Question Details

Maryb, Home Buyer in 48025

is there such a thing as a home inspector that specializes in forclosed homes? i just bought a home and i was wondering if all home inspectors could

Asked by Maryb, 48025 Sun Apr 18, 2010

inspect forclosures, if there was a difference in what they look for.

Help the community by answering this question:


All home inspectors doing the same basic inspection for the houses
You can do additional inspections if you see something that concerns you
There are a lot of home inspectors who are licensed builders
Interview a few inspectors and you can figure out who is the right one to inspect
Your house. Some foreclosed properties in better condition then others
It depends what year the house was build and how well did the past owners
take care the property.
Olga MacKenzie
JCI-Troy Inc Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 12, 2013
HI Mary,

I have not heard of any in the area. But, to be totally frank, any inspector worth his/her weight in salt in Michigan right now better be well experienced w/ foreclosed homes. In many Metro-Detroit communities the number of bank sales exceeded private-owner sales for over a year. How well they inspect, is a different story. Talk to a few and ask them what their experience w/ foreclosed homes have been recently and ask questions like: Are they going to crawl into the crawl spaces? Do they get up on the roof? Do they know heating/cooling systems inside & out? What are their accrediations? Make sure your agent has the plumbing, electric and gas are turned on for them! Good luck.

Jay M. Jones, Realtor
Max Broock, Birmingham
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 13, 2010

If you bought the home at sheriff's sale, then you had no option for an inspection. If you bought the home from a Bank, you had the option to have an inspection before deciding to buy the home if you put a contingency in your offer.

It appears that you already bought the home & want an inspection to determine what's wrong with the home. The inspection process is no different. We recommend that ou clients us an inspection company which has 2 engineers to perform the inspection. Because of their education & extensive experience, they are very thorough. You need to consider having a general home inspection, pest inspection & testing for Radon.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 18, 2010
Not really.

However, recognize that different home inspectors do have different skill sets. In my experience, they might previously have been general contractors, or plumbers, or electricians, or roofers. So someone who was previously a roofer will be absolutely great on inspecting roofs, but maybe only adequate on plumbing issues. Or visa versa.

A couple of suggestions: Ask your Realtor who he/she might recommend. It's likely he/she will know of some home inspectors that have a complete skill set and may have more experience with foreclosures than others. Otherwise, look for someone with ample experience. Even if they started off as a roofer or plumber, 10-15 years of experience should have strengthened their other skills substantially.

Hope that helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 18, 2010
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Mary, I do not know of any home inspectors who specialize in foreclosures. They all inspect for the same things. The home inspector I use is a general contractor so he knows a lot more than just a licensed home inspector. I do recommend for some of my buyers who are buying foreclosures, to have a general contractor review the inspection report and give them a bid for the work within the 10 day time frame given by the bank. I also recommend that a buyer buying a foreclosed property get a home warranty. There is one with American Home Shield that protects the home buyer from pre-existing conditions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 18, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer