Foreclosure in 92308>Question Details

Lovemyself, Other/Just Looking in 92308

if i am a renter in the house i rent is in default do i still pay rent

Asked by Lovemyself, 92308 Thu Mar 11, 2010

Answers

6
Yes, absolutely. You are under contract with the homeowner. Whether it is a lease or month to month , you are under the obligation stipulated by the terms of the contract. If you default, the homeowner can initiate pay or quit notice. You might be responsible for all legal expenses if you are found guilty during the legal proceedings. It might also damage your credit, which might hinder you from finding a future place to rent or purchase. I recommend that you have an open communication with your landlord and find out if they will release you from the contract. It might be worth a try. Good luck.
Until that home foreclosues you still have a contact with your Landlord!
As long as you reside in the property and are under an active agreeemnt you are obligated to continue to pay your monthly rent as agreed. As previously stated, the fact that the owners are in default has neither changes the property's ownership or your responsibility.

By not paying your agreed upon rent, you may be risking legal action yourself.
Pay the rent because you contractually agreed to pay the rent. If the owner is in foreclosure and not just default on their loan, I would start looking fora new place to rent. I would also look for a an agreement with you land lord to break the lease. If it is not a written lease, you might beon a month to month lease, which would make a change easy.

Good Luck

Keith Manson
First Weber Group
Certified Distressed Property Expert

Metro Milwaukee

http://www.milwaukeebailout.com
There are 2 different and distinct issues here.
1 your legal duty to pay your rent
2 your landlords legal duty to pay their mortgage

Either party doing or not doing their duty does not change the duty of the other party. Pay the rent.
Even though they are in default they are still the owners. If they are in foreclosure that is a different story.

If you want to email me the address I can check the property status for you.

Cindy Vedder
Prudential CA. Realty
951.231.8439
Web Reference: http://www.CindyVedder.com