Foreclosure in 18505>Question Details

Stephanie Ei…, Renter in Scranton, PA

i moved into my mothers apartment with my two kids i think its going to be foreclosed landlord died son took over im getting shut off notices pls help

Asked by Stephanie Eitutis, Scranton, PA Mon Jul 8, 2013

Answers

3
Paul Philpott’s answer
As a prior employee of several utilities in Pennsylvania (including UGI), I would suggest calling the utility companies and telling them that you will pay them directly (if needed) to keep the water/gas/electricity on. There are local and state regulations regarding disconnecting utility service, and the utilities should work with you to resolve the issue.

If the utilities are normally part of the rent, you should be able to legally deduct the amount paid for the utilities from the rent paid to your landlord. If you are forced to pay the utility directly, I would obtain advice from the utility as they may have support programs for this sort of thing. Either way, I would contact a local attorney to get advice on the best way to document your direct utility payments and avoid both a utility shutoff and eviction.
Call Scranton City Hall. Scranton has ordinances against landlords shutting off utilities. If he wants you out he needs to legally evict you. I would suggest that you mail him the rent, but given that he has moved to shut off your utilities, you need to deal with that first.
the landlord was my mothers best friend he passed away suddenly a couple months ago the son took over everything but he never talks to us i have a bad feeling about him he doesnt come and pick up the rent money on time like now he still hasnt come for this months rent im very worried i have ten day shut off notices on my gas and water that he is supposed to pay does anyone have any advice on where to turn also im in scranton pa thanks