Foreclosure in 97229>Question Details

Ef7925, Renter in 97229

i have been renting a house for the past 2 years not knowing the house has been foreclosed on now the mortgage company is asking me to get out.

Asked by Ef7925, 97229 Thu Sep 22, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Chris Aldridge’s answer

Actually, I believe that several earlier respondents did suggest that the original poster contact an attorney in order to get legal advice and find out their rights. A reference to the Orgon State Bar was included. As you know, giving legal advice is something that real estate agents and appraisers can not legally do.

I personally have seen time frames that were different from the ones you posted, and concur that it’s wise to seek legal counsel based upon one’s unique situation.

My heart goes out to the original poster…best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 22, 2011
is your question, do you have rights? the bank will give you proper notice to move. If they are creative, they may offer you some money or assistance. If you refuse to move, you should find a good attorney.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 22, 2011
Hi, Renter,
It all depends on what you have signed in writing with the landlord. You should seek legal advice depending on what is in your contract. If you have no contract, you should especially seek legal advice. You may be able to obtain this through a tenant assistance service through the city where you are living.
Mary Jean
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 22, 2011
As Lana says "That has happened with many renters."

If you are on a month to month tenancy, you can be given 30 days notice to vacate the premises at any time. Just like you can give your landlord 30 days notice you are moving at any time. As long as you are being given the proper notice, it really is business as usual for you as a renter. The fact that the property has been foreclosed on is unfortunate, but you have been getting what you paid for every month.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 22, 2011
I'm sorry this has happened to you, and a read through Oregon laws pertaining to this situation ( will help you understand your rights and the subsequent owner's responsibilities. I recommend that you get together your rental/lease agreement and see an attorney. If you don't know an attorney and you don't know anyone who could refer you to a competent attorney, then call the Oregon State Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-452-7636. Good luck to you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 22, 2011
Here is some good information from the state of Oregon about tenants rights in a house that gets foreclosed:…
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 22, 2011
I would stay there until you get an eviction notice. But check with a real estate attorney to see what your options are
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 6, 2013
Sorry that you're in this situation - good advice below. Actually, I believe that in a foreclosure situation, you have 90 days available starting when title transfers. Please double-check with the links that Eric + Priscilla posted.

And Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 22, 2011
That has happened with many renters- check to see what your rental agreement says and then check with your land lord to see what provisions they will make for you to move.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 22, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer