Foreclosure in Brightmoor>Question Details

linadoll7, Renter in Detroit, MI

how can i find out if the home i am renting is in foreclosure status?

Asked by linadoll7, Detroit, MI Fri Mar 16, 2012

i currently reside in a home and all kinds of letters from the city have been coming saying the taxes are delinquent and are now in forfeiture status as well as letters from attorneys saying its scheduled for sheriff's sale next month.

Answers

3
Joe Bertera’s answer
email me the address and I will see what information I can find in Public Records or you could call the county and city to get more information.

Thanks. Joe Bertera. 248.521.6443 joebertera@gmail.com
You're receiving the letters for a reason. Sounds to me like you already know the answer.

These days, when renting a house or condo, the renters are really "gambling" unless they take some precautions. I would want to see the mortgage statement every month to verify that the mortgage is being paid. Tax records, too. If you're paying rent, and they're not paying the mortgage, that's fraud.

If you're getting letters about foreclosure and sheriff's sale, I'd seriously be looking for another place to live.

Eric Michael

EricMichael@Remerica.com
734-564-1519
It's not unusual for taxes to be delinquent if the owner is behind in mortgage payments. Call the City or the County Clerk and ask if there has been a "Lis Pendens" filing. This is public record so they will have to tell you. A word of caution, though. Letters from attorneys don't mean much. It's possible the owner has brought the loan current and they are just still on someone's mailing list. it is also possible they are negotiating with the bank to do a loan modification. Unless you get a notice directly from the Sheriff posted on your door I wouldn't panic. And even then, when banks are negotiating loan modifications, they often wait until the very last minute to put off the Sheriff's Sale. It is far more likely that, if the owner cannot negotiate a modification, they will put the house up for sale as a short sale.

And, even if ALL that happens, you may have rights as a renter. Contact your local office of Community Affairs or an attorney and find out what your rights and options are as a tenant. New Jersey has some of the best protections in the country for tenants. Here, if the owner is foreclosed on, the 'new owner', usually the bank, has to honor the lease as long as the tenant is in compliance, until the end of the lease term. Tenants here cannot be evicted or even offered cash for keys in these situations. It has a tendency to make the banks much more willing to negotiate modifications and short sales AND it protects tenants.