Question Details

Alpha, Other/Just Looking in 27704

has anyone tried realtytrac.com? it looks like a scam???

Asked by Alpha, 27704 Sun Jan 13, 2008

Answers

55
Its not that its a scam, but for most consumers, its a waste of money. Consumers assume that because a property shows up in Realty Trac that it is for sale. That is not true. Realty Trac gathers public data from legal filings and legal notices. The fact that a property appears in their database only indicates that a legal action was taken, not that it is for sale.

A real estate agent can help you with the data without the investment in REalty Trac. You can also gather info yourself from the local courthouse.

Realty Trac fell under much criticism for inflating the numbers because they counted multiple filings on one property mulitple times which portrayed a higher rate of legal actions and foreclosures than were factual. I believe they have taken corrective action on that, after being widely criticized.

Bottom line....it's not a scam, but a buyer can get info for free from a Realtor and the courthouse.
Realtytrac.com Is a scam. **** DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD****
https://www.facebook.com/realtytrac
Flag Mon Apr 15, 2013
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
BUYER BEWARE of realtytrac.com's 7-Day Trial!!! Not only do they charge your credit card for this membership, but they cleverly, automatically sign you up for "Foreclosure Coach Network". This is why you may be getting multiple charges. I cancelled my realtytrac membership on line (their "online help" at least gives instructions on to do it). The cancellation confirmation webpage tells you that you also signed up for "Foreclosure Coach Network" and that you must contact them to cancel, but gives no clue how to do that.

Google "Foreclosure Coach Network and you find http://www.carletonsheets.com. I called their 1-800 number and asked if they were affiliated with realtytrac; they said "yes". I asked them to cancel the Foreclosure Coach Network and they said to call realtytrac!! So, round, and round you go; good luck getting all these charges cancelled!! Fortunately I am so grateful that I used American Express. American Express Security has an "alert" and they had actually contacted me while I was away on vacation and had REJECTED/DENIED the charge. I can only assume that American Express has had lots of complaints.
Just received an Email solicitation. So tired company's calling for monthly lead fees. Is there not any regulation in COLORADO. Thanks much.
Flag Fri May 2, 2014
Alpha:

I for one am done providing a credit card for "free trials." Coming to a place like Trulia and asking like you did is the wisest thing you can do. Foreclosure Radar had a trial with no cc required.
This is an old Q, but I wanted to add my recent experience with RealtyTrac. I am an agent, and signed up to RealtyTrac's free 7-day trial. I also signed up for ForeclosureRadar.com's free 3-day trial (thinking it was a 7-day trial, but that's my error). After using both systems for a few days, I determined that FR would better serve my needs. So, I contacted my rep with RT, a Mr. Bill Beanland, via phone the morning of the 7th day (when I signed up, RT sent me an email confirming that I needed to cancel on/before 1:38pm PST on the 7th day, so I knew I was still able to cancel without being charged). I spoke with him for all of 5 minutes. He said I would receive a confirmation email, but I requested a confirmation number over the phone and was given a 9-digit number. Smooth as butter.
So I thought.
Then, a few days later, my CC was charged the full subscription amount. So, I contacted Mr. Beanland via phone to find that he had already left for the day. Instead of leaving a voicemail, I emailed him the following:
--
I phoned and spoke with you last Thursday, 28 April 2011 at appx. 12:15pm PST to cancel my subscription to RealtyTrac at the end of my trial period. I told you that I was not interested in a RealtyTrac subscription since ForeclosureRadar.com's service is a better fit for my needs. You said that I would be receiving an email confirming cancellation, and gave me the following confirmation number: #########.
Unfortunately, my charge card was run regardless of the above discussion in the amounts of $5 and $44.95 on 02 May 2011, and I expect both charges to be reversed or refunded immediately. I have not logged onto any account with RealtyTrac since calling to cancel my trial nearly a week ago, and am not in any way interested in the service. I will call you early tomorrow to verify your receipt of this message, as well as to ensure that the matter is being resolved. Thank you.
--
He replied with the following email the following morning:
I have no record of your phone call or any emails from you. I just pulled up my notes on my auto dialer and I show 5 calls to you with no contact. I left at least 3 voice messages for you and 1 email but again no record of contact. Can you tell me who you spoke with at RealtyTrac or who you emailed.
I have placed a cancellation on your account so you cannot be billed in the future. Until I did this your account was active. I assure you if we spoke your account cancellation would have been placed immediately.
--
I then replied to his email with all my facts & records in a less-than-nice tone, and magically (!) he responded with a standard caught-red-handed "I've processed your refund...it might take 3-5 business days to process...thank you for using RT..." email.

So, moral of the story: if you're not sure you want the RealtyTrac service, sign up for the free trial. However, make sure you keep meticulous records, in case they decide they want to ignore your attempts to cancel before being charged. As the saying goes: caveat emptor.

For anyone looking for Bill Beanland's contact info (I coudn't find his email ANYWHERE!), here it is:
Bill Beanland
Sr Account Executive, Real Estate Services
RealtyTrac, Inc
800-463-0147
Bill.Beanland@realtytrac.com
similar things happen to me, unless I never get to reach the manager, oh I did one time, he said he would refund me but never did.
Flag Mon Dec 10, 2012
Really, Trulia needs to do something about this. There should be a way to filter these scam artists by flagging it or something. It hurts their app and makes me distrust their results. The obvious way to tell is the fact there is no street number in the listing but again this is something they need to deal with. They probably won't because they get paid by these jokers, again meaning I can't trust Trulia. Your move Trulia.
Trulia probably makes money from the RealtyTrac ads. They are still around.
Flag Mon Jun 30, 2014
i hate scams!
Flag Sun Mar 24, 2013
Billing you on your credit card account is the scam. Just wait until you attempt to cancel with them. Check out their own phone number (650) 412-0662. I've lost a few hundred and am in dispute over charges. They will send you a bunch of crap about arbitration, which doesn't count when you're just trying to cancel a service. Or at least it never has when I have tried to cancel anything else before....they have argued with they bank's conclusion. Only "cancelled" my account when the bank put things in dispute. Listen to their own message. RUN FAR FAR AWAY!!! Go to a legitimate agent and they will help you find foreclosures for NO cost at all...in the area you want them in...They make commission off what you finally buy from what the seller has listed it from. Realty Trac was over a $300 scam for me, and I only used it ONCE! NO PURCHASE! They admit it even! They're hoops to cancel are horrendous. Keep VERY GOOD RECORDS IF YOU EVEN TRY!!! AND BE PREPARED TO CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNTS, DISPUTE IT, AND STILL LOSE MONEY!!!!!!!!
It IS a scam!!! I signed up on February 16, 2013, for my 7-day free trial period. I "used" the service for a couple of days but found that they offered NOTHING that you can't get for yourself out of public records online. I tried calling on February 23rd to cancel and they were already closed. I sent them an e-mail message to cancel the service and not charge me, but they went ahead and charged me $49.95 anyway! DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS SERVICE. IT IS A SCAM!!!
https://www.facebook.com/realtytrac
Flag Mon Apr 15, 2013
Realtytrac is a scam!
Flag Mon Apr 15, 2013
I don't think we can legally call it a scam, but when you google them along with the word scam, seeing that many links is a sign of what to expect.

My advice is to not give them the okay to charge your credit card for ANYTHING. Most agents have to fight really hard once they find out the "trial" they agreed to is really a year long contract.

Look them up with the BBB, but set aside some time for reading because there really is that much there.
RealtyTrac is not a scam. Yes you can get the info for free but what it does do is save you the time and gas to go and get that info. Just think about it. RT gets the info several times a month. Now if you or I was to drive and get the info how much time and gas and parking fees would it take and would it be more than the twenty something dollors a month?
It's my opinion that realtors would not like this site because it's cutting in to their buisness. Meaning if you get the property during the foreclosure process then you save a lot. If it goes back to the bank then it sells for the norm property value and not the value of the loan.
Just my humble opinion. I have known about the site for 4 years or so and the long story short. It's not a scam.
they shouldn't be so shady with their enrollment then. and have a clear path to opt out.. Just MY humble opinion. I'm not a realtor.
Flag Sun Oct 14, 2012
it is not a scam. I met this company at a trade show last year. They are pretty much the industry leader with foreclosure data.
The pricing many times represents the loan amount that is in default. That loan may be a 1st loan but many times it is a 2nd loan. If that is the case the 1st lender will cure the loan and/or may foreclose so they do not loose their investment. If you step in on the 25K loan you would have the responsibility of any prior loans that may not be in default.
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
It is a scma--- the people running this sham of company are rude and unprofessional and the information on their website is vague, imcomplete and largely stale-dated and inaccurate. Avoid them at all costs!!
https://www.facebook.com/realtytrac
Flag Mon Apr 15, 2013
This is a SCAM. They show the street where a supposed house in distress is but it's a small road and I know all eye houses in it, and who actually lives there. None of the houses are in distress. I personally know everybody on that street (about 20) and none of them are distressed. Never give a credit card before getting the info you want. Anybody that forces a credit card for access is going to start you on autobill. That's the business model. If it happens to you, call your credit card company (back of card) and when you see the charge immediately dispute it and the credit card company will ALWAYS reverse the charge. Don't fall for this crap and be smarter next time.
REALTYTRAC removed the option to cancel online (as stated in the confirmation email that I received and the lack of options on their website), I spent an hour between tring to figure that out on the web and calling them on the phone. 7am their time is 10am mine and at 7am they only have 3 people answering the phone (the guy who finally answered Anzio (sp?) told me so). The first two times I called to cancel, I got the consumer cs dept (pressed #2), their "system" hung up on me after waiting on hold for more then 4 minutes each time. When I called back the third time and waited for the realtor dept (pressed #1) i was on hold for more then 18 min. Anzio told me that I yelled at him for 7 min (I shared my problems for 2 min- after all i was keeping track of the WASTE of time this entire process was costing me), he told me that I was in the wrong dept- I should be complaining to the consumer cs dept- DUH THEY HUNG UP TWICE BEFORE I COULD EVEN TALK TO ANYONE! He said he canceled my account BUT after reading about all of the problems that others have had (after the fact), I called my bank and canceled my bank card (three days without my bank card means I will still be complaining about these guys in my head for the next couple of days. I was going to leave it alone- not complaing all over the internet about them BUT I just got a call from a number I didnt recognize, they didnt leave a message, and when I called it back it was REALTYTRAC! Not thinking we need to speak ever again BUT now i am a little worried after reading about them "prank" calling other past customers- weird part is that the phone number I gave them on my online account was the house # but they called me on my cell which was what I used to speak to them today.
I feel like this reflects poorly on Trulia!
I just signed up because Trulia sent me an update for a property in my area, but the property doesn't exist. I called RealtyTrac and Brad said the property didn't exist; when I asked who to report the listing showing on RealtyTrac.com's website when you click through, he hung up. Every call afterwards is disconnected as well.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I should report RealtyTrac and Trulia, or just RealtyTrac to the Attorney General and BBB...
I really appreciate the honest answers because saved me from a lot of problems. However, do you any of you know of a good foreclosure website that you would recommend?
RealtyTrac is by far the industry leader and most trusted source of Foreclosure Information. Do people here really think that if RealtyTrac is a Scam that the FBI would use their data for mortgage fraud analysis and most top tier economists and Universities like Harvard and Yale use their data as well.
Flag Tue Feb 5, 2013
Realty Trac is not a scam, plain and simple. They offer outstanding services to real estate agents, homebuyers and investors. People have to know how to use the services. What Realtytrac offers customers that they can't get from a broker is information about pre-foreclosures before they come to market. This can help investors and home buyers get a jump on the competition. What it offers people like me, a real estate broker, is outstanding and concise stats, advertising opportunities, as well as several lead resources which have a high closing ratio. I don't work for Realtytrac, i pay them good money every month, and the reason I do so is that my average ROI is near 800%. If Realtytrac is doing something wrong, for my purposes I hope they never do right.
Sure you dont work for. Suuuuure.
Flag Sun Sep 22, 2013
I agree with these comments...sorry, I accidentally hit the thumbs down and don't know how to undo that.
Flag Sat Sep 22, 2012
Yes, RealtyTrac is a complete scam, but no one has articulated exactly why. First you have to understand that anyone in real estate during the boom is liar because they knew it had to bust. Anyone who tells you homes will hold their value is a liar.

RealtyTrac is a scam because they know that most of the homes in their database will never make it to the market. They are using a bait and switch technique that holds no value for the end consumer. Bait and switch is when you sell a product or service as something that it is not. This technique usually works if there is some actual value to the end consumer.

RealtyTrac provides no value to consumers because the only one who can use the information is a well trained agent with a business degree because the information is so technical. Therefore, RealtyTrac is a scam because they are advertising properties that are not on the market and providing information consumers do not understand.
It is a scam I can prove it if you look up foreclosures on trulia from realty trac in 08867 a home comes as foreclosed - but I own this house and have never even been close to late on a payment if you switch to the for sale side of trulia you will see the same listing for sale - Big Scam I tried them years ago they send you a bunch of fraudulent listings or as they call pre-foreclosures which are just houses listed for more than 60 days - Don't waste your money if you see people here saying they are good that is because they are brokers that are part of the horrible service, stay away from them
you can complain here for a refund

https://www.facebook.com/realtytrac
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 15, 2013

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 15, 2013

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 15, 2013
realtytrac is thief. Once you gave them your credit card. They will keep stealing money from you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 4, 2013
Realtytrac is a scam!
Flag Mon Apr 15, 2013
It is a scam--- the people running this sham of company are rude and unprofessional and the information on their website is vague, incomplete and largely stale-dated and inaccurate. Avoid them at all costs!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 24, 2013
Realtytrac.com Is a scam. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CREDIT CARD
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 24, 2013
I have been signed up for several months now because I got a $19.99 monthly rate, instead of what they usually charge ($40 or so). In my humble opinion, they are not scammers. Many of the negative reports I found about them are from consumers who signed up for a free trial and didn't cancel in time and are then bitter about it. Other negative reports are clearly from real estate agents who like to tell you that your real estate agent is the best source of info on foreclosures. Yes, indeed, the realestate agent might well know what houses are bank owned or in foreclosure, but the reality is that these houses typically sell at the market price, and so these are of no value to you if you are looking for a good deal. I think realtytrac does give you important info on houses that are in various stages of the foreclosure process, but you need to spend time to learn how to take advantage of that knowledge. Obviously, your real estate agent is one of the last people on this planet that would be willing to invest their time to help you with that. The job of the real estate agent is to sell and buy homes as quickly as possible to get the maximum profit possible for themselves and their company. They are not in the business of helping you buy a distressed home at a cheap price, because that takes time. Not even Realtytrac will invest their time in that, but at least they do present you with the resources to learn, if you are willing to make that sort of time investment. Nothing against real estate agents in general, I just wish that they could come on here and state the facts as they are, rather than continuing to add confusion to the mix....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2012
i complained about them 1 hour into my trial period, so i'm not bitter (yet, until i find a charge next week/next month). how did you get a cheaper rate?
Flag Tue Oct 23, 2012
It is a scam. The listings are all old, not updated daily like they advertise. When I complained I got a story about it doesn't really mean the update, so the listing are often years old. No reason to pay them for useless information. By the time a listing gets on realtytrac it is long gone.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 19, 2012
By reading other comments, I think I will cancel membership. Besides, I never see more then an arial view!
Hard to understand equity/LTV etc
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 26, 2011
I would not recommend anyone paying Realty Trac or any service for information of any kind when you can contact a real estate agent for free.
Research for any available property can be had so simply by using the real estate agent.
This is what we do. I am an agent and I never get paid unless there is a completed transaction between a buyer and a seller (my clients).
An agent is highly motivated to keep consumers aware of any inventory as it comes available.
You can look up an address in a local clerk of court website if you think it is a foreclosure to see where it is in the process. These pre-foreclosures and already forclosed properties can take years to come onto the market, so I suggest looking at the more currently available properties.
There are many options that your local agents can help with.
In SW Florida, I can help if you need an agent.
go to Janfinerealtor@gmail.com with a request for information. (for free)
Thanks, Janine
Research for any available property can be had so simply be using the real estate agent.
Thanks, Janine
Thanks, Janine
I found much of their foreclosure information to be out of date (as confirmed by a real estate agent) and was told by their manager (Brad 0007) that it was not their responsibility to check the validity or status of their information. I cancelled immediately after hearing this from their own manager. Customer service is horrible & my husband & I both encountered rude representatives each time we called. Please do yourself a favor & avoid RealtyTrac!!!
Do not give them your credit card, they keep it on file forever and will not delete. You can get legitimate information from your real estate agent.
Ironic that you would post this on Trulia. RealtyTrac is a Trulia marketing partner.
they are steal my money by charge my bank account,the ask with registration to pay $1 dollar for first month but after 7 days they charge me $49 they are thief
Funny thing about it is that realty trac used to be free! A few years ago it was called calpost.com. I used it all the time and the information was good.
Wow, seriously robust discussion. Can I suggest that instead of sharing your money with Realty Trac you skip the middleman and get a list of foreclosures for sale from a local agent? We normally have access to the information as soon as it comes on the market. Best of all, I'm happy to send you that information FOR FREE. No charge, no credit card information, etc.

I can send you information on foreclosures in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties of Flroida to get you started.

Ann Ryan
http://www.AnnRyan.Keyes.com
AnnMoffettRyan@gmail.com
u work for same company i know u
Flag Sat Mar 29, 2014
u work with same company wow. i know u
Flag Sat Mar 29, 2014
Yes, I used it and it was a huge mistake and it is a SCAM. They put houses in their site that are not really existed and they charged my credit card without my permission. I have been going crazy calling them and being on hold for hours and at the end they did not connect me with the manager. They said they will communicate through email with me.
Huge mistake. Stay away.
If you want to know if a company is legitimate,you should keep in mind the following instructions
1.Use Whois lookup tool like http://www.whoisxy.com/ to check the whois information.Because legitimate company properly update whois database.
2.Then check whether domain owner contact details and E-mail address is currently active or not.
3.Finally take some reviews about that company using Scamadviser.com,Webutation.net.
I am sure above the steps are very useful to check any company is legit or scam.I hope it will be very useful to you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 20, 2013
As a consumer looking at foreclosures in your area it doesn't give you much more information than is posted on Zillow or Trulia, so it is worthless. I missed calling them by one day, so.....charged $49.95 fee for the next month. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THEIR 7 DAY FREE TRIAL, IT IS WORTHLESS FOR THE AVERAGE CONSUMER LOOKING FOR FORECLOSURES. For the information they say you'll receive and don't, yes I would say it is a scam.
It is a total scam. I got the free one week trial and decided to pay the $49.95 for an additional 1 month. Well before the month was up I called them to tell them I wanted to cancell immediately. They still deducted another $49.95 ($5.00 + $44.95) out of my account. I''ve called them 4 times. Most of the time I am put on hold for several minutes and then get a recording telling me that they are too busy to take calls and ask for me to leave a message. When I am lucky enough to speak to someone I am always told the same thing, "your account representative is Greg and he is not at his desk but we will leave a message for him and he will take the fraudulant charge off your account. I've reported this to my bank. If charges show up again on this they will reverse them. The reason I was cancelling my membership/subscription is because the same information they are charging for is available for free through the County Clerks website. My only recourse at this point is to report them to the BBB and the San Antonio Board of Realtors which of course I will do.

Bob Mayfield
San Antonio, TX
Such a scam and rude customer service when you call to cancel the 7 day trial. Dude straight hung up on me. They had listing as active that were over two years outdated and already off the market. Do not waste you time.
It is a scam!!! Just got off the phone with them and got it stuck in the ____! Signed up for their 7 day free trial and each time I would try and use it, it wouldn't let me in, instead it would try to get me to sign up for a 7 day free trial this happened 5 times. So, I assumed I wasn't signed up, but after 7 days I got charged for it. They explained it to me it was my fault for not calling them sooner and refused to give me credit. I told them they needed the money more than I did and I wanted a cancellation confirmation number ASAP. Also, I informed them I'll get my monies worth by posting bad reviews for them here's number 1.
Listing houses that don't exist. And using other people's houses as the photo of the "foreclosure" home. I smell scam... And I doubt it's legal.
RealtyTrac is a SCAM !!! No one every gets back with you regarding the properties. The listings aren't current -- DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND STAY FAR AWAY from RealtyTrac !!!!
@MOSHU6709 It comes down to due diligence, the properties on RealtyTrac are NOT listings, they are properties that are in some stage of foreclosure and they are current. I'm an investor and use them on a daily basis! The information does update.
Flag Tue Feb 5, 2013
These are the options to join on RealtyTrac.com, select the account type, read the terms and continue.

Choose Your Subscription
7-Day Trial (FREE)
Monthly ($59.95)
You will not be charged if you cancel before your trial ends.
Your price after the trial period is $59.95 per month until you cancel.

It looks like they will also offer you The Coach Network, on the offer page their is nothing that automatically registers you for it, you have the option to continue or select no thanks. The no thanks is kinda small but thats common with online ads.

I signed up twice the first time i just exited out of the page when being offered coaching and was not automatically opted in, and the second time i signed up under my wifes info and selected no thanks to coaching. No charges ever applied.

Just make sure Your READING whats being offered to you, unless your blind you cant miss it.

You can terminate 5 different ways, as long as you receive your confirmation # your all set, obviously if you dont receive it, dont expect it to be canceled. If need be they are available to take your call.

Member may terminate membership by one of five ways that applies to their type of membership, as follows:

1. All members may terminate membership online, using the "Edit My Profile" feature in the "My RealtyTrac" section of the Site, accessible to Member upon login.
2. All members may terminate membership by e-mailing a cancellation request to support@realtytrac.com at least five (5) days prior to the desired cancellation date.
3. All members may terminate membership by telephoning a cancellation request to 877.888.8722 during the business hours of 8am to 5pm PST Monday through Friday. A $5 dollar service and processing fee will be applied for paying membership cancellation requests processed via telephone.
4. All members may terminate a membership by faxing a cancellation request to 949.861.9413 at least five (5) days prior to the desired cancellation date.
5. Only paying members may terminate by mailing a cancellation request to RealtyTrac Inc., One Venture Plaza, Suite 300, Irvine, CA 92618. Such cancellation will be effective approximately ten (10) days after receipt.

Also the Realtytrac cancellation confirmation email they sent me both times did indicate if i had opted into any other offers, so im assuming if you did opt into it it will also disclose this to you.
Thanks for the post..I was always wondering what realtytrac.com was all about.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 10, 2010
RealtyTrac is not a scam. I have been a member with them for quite a while now. They provide you with data on foreclosed properties. I have bought a two homes using the data i received from their website. They are a good source of information.
I signed up for several months because I am interested in purchasing a bank owned property.
RealtyTrac list the bank name and no contact information.
For instance, if the bank is CitiCorp, you have to determine the number for their REO department and the individual that is handling that property. What am I paying ReatlyTrac for?
1 2