Foreclosure in 48837>Question Details

Dennisdd2, Other/Just Looking in 48837

can i get personal items from my home even though i haven't paid my mortgage in 9 months?

Asked by Dennisdd2, 48837 Thu Nov 19, 2009

i am scared, i don't understand the forclosure process. i walked away from my home in february 2009. they are some personal items that i want but they locked up the house. can i retrieve any of my belongings?

Answers

6
More than likely they aren't there anymore. When the bank takes back a home they wait until the redemption period is over (from 30 days to 1 year in Michigan) and then they clean out the house to sell it. If you walked away from the property it islikely that the bank foreclosed on the home. If you go to the house tere will usually b a sticker on the property by the company that was hired to change the locks and wnterize the house. Sart there. You can also try the bank.
I would call the bank. They hire a field service company to remove personal belongings. The state law is differnt in each state. Usually the bank has the personal belongings placed in storage for 60 days after foreclosure sale and if not claimed the storage company sells the belongings.

Best to call attorney or bank until you get a understanding of status. Why are you waiting so long to go back to get your belongings? This may be the biggest issue!

Keith Manson
First Weber Group
Certifed Distressed Property Expert
Metro Milwaukee
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 21, 2009
Dennis, there should have been contact information on the paperwork/communication you have received from the lending institution. There also should have been a Realtor trying to contact you to make some type of arrangement with you to turn over the keys. Is your personal property still visible in the home? If it is, you have a much better chance of getting it back.
Contact your bank or the number on thge sticker that should have been placed on your doors or window.
It depends on when the bank foreclosed and the laws in your state. I would contact an attorney or call a Realtor who handles a lot of bank owned properties in your community. In California I know that a home owner has a couple of weeks after the foreclosure to claim their stuff. You could call the foreclosure dept. for your lender as well. Good Luck to you and I hope you can get your stuff back.
First of all, technically the house is still yours until the auction is held and the property is sold. That being said, foreclosure laws can vary from state to state. I would start w/ contacting your lender. Explain the situation and that you would like to retrieve your belongings, but you are locked out. They should cooperate and give you the name of the real estate agent or auction company handling the sale. If you already know who is handling the sale, go to them directly instead of calling the lender and make your request. They will have access to the inside of the house. Depending on the state you reside, you may or may not be entitled to your personal items. So, if you are having problems getting a response from the lender or selling agent, you may want to talk to an attorney depending on how valuable the personal items are to you.
I'm not a lawyer so this isn't legal advice. However:

You may no longer be the owner of the home. If the foreclosure has occurred, then the bank owns the property. Or maybe even someone's bought it from the bank. You'd be trespassing, at the least. I don't know if personal possessions left behind convey with the property, but if they do, then you'd also be risking charges of theft or burglary.

Check with a lawyer. Or contact your lender and explain that you'd like to retrieve some personal property. But don't just break in there and take stuff.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA