Foreclosure in 23666>Question Details

Kline, Home Buyer in Norfolk, VA

When can I anticipate receiving my EMD on a Short Sale since the bank countered my offer?

Asked by Kline, Norfolk, VA Mon Sep 13, 2010

I had a ratified contract with the sellers on a short sale transaction. After the bank countered my offer, I requested to be release from the contract with the sellers. Is there a time constraint for the seller to sign the release, and when should I anticipated receiving my EMD?

Answers

9
Kline,

Real estate contract is ALWAYS between the SELLER and the BUYER – the seller’s lender is NOT a party to a real estate contract.

The seller holds the TITLE to the property and is the legal OWNER of the house, unless the lender forecloses.

The seller’s mortgage loan is only between the seller and the seller’s lender – the buyer is NOT a party to the seller’s mortgage contract.

Just because the seller is upside down on the mortgage and the lender did not approve the short sale, it does not mean the seller is out of options. The seller can 1) stay in the home if the seller is able to continue making mortgage payments, 2) bring the funds to the settlement if the seller can afford it, 3) qualify for the employer assistance program if relocating, 4) participate in cash for keys program, 5) file for bankruptcy to avoid short sale judgement, etc.

The point is the real estate contract is between the seller and the buyer and is RATIFIED by the seller and the buyer.

In your case, the contract was contingent on the seller’s lender approving the sale since the seller was not able to pay off the mortgage in full – the same way that home inspection, HOA documents, appraisal/financing, or selling buyer’s home are contingencies on the buyer’s side.

I think that confusion is caused by the EMD check. The LAW requires agents to deposit the Earnest Money Deposit check within 5 days after the contract is RATIFIED by the seller and the buyer. UNLESS a buyer’s agent writes a clause into the contract that the EMD check will be deposited after the short sale is approved by the seller’s lender, the EMD check MUST be deposited in the escrow fund within 5 days after the contract is ratified by the seller and the buyer. This is the federal LAW – brokers have a legal obligation to report agents who do not deposit the EMD check in the timely manner.

If your agent wrote into the contract that the EMD check will NOT be deposited until the sale is approved by the seller’s lender, your EMD check should have NEVER been deposited in the Escrow since the lender did not approve the contract at your price; instead the lender came back with a counteroffer which you have NO legal obligation to accept.

The seller’s lender has NO legal right to your Earnest Money Deposit check – neither does the seller, since the contract is voidable at your option.

Another “loophole” in the federal policies which unnecessarily ties up buyer’s money in the Escrow and hinders commerce?

You need to contact your agent/broker as they are able to give you the best advice since only they know the details of the contract.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 14, 2010
I am pretty confused by the answers! If your contract was agreed upon between buyer and seller - it was ratified! your earnest money gets deposited.

Vivianne's answer was perfect. Third party approval is just a contingency. Every time we write an offer involving a loan, we have a third party contingency on the buyer side and that would be the loan getting approved. The contract is turned in, EMD is deposited in accordance with the law. If the third party did not approve the sale, that contingency is not met and you ask for a release and request your EMD back.
Everyone is correct - your check should not have been deposited since contract was not ratified. Did you have an agent represent you? or did you go straight to the listing agent?
HI Kline,

Just because the seller signed your purchase agreement does not mean that your contract is ratified. Your agreement need a "third party approval" before it can be ratified. If you and the bank do not have a meeting of the minds than you have no contract. Your check should be at your agent/broker's office. I usually just email the bank with my client's intent to withdraw. Checks are only deposited after full ratification.
Your release would need to be in writing, The seller would have to sign the release and then the deposit can be returned. It most areas the law is 30 days, simply ask your agent what the law is in your state.
Your ratified contract with the sellers doesn't mean much since the bank has the final say. If your broker is holding the EMD then it would be returned as soon as the release form is sigend by all parties. If you haven;t gotten the signed release back from the bank then your agent needs to get on the ball and start calling every day!
Kline

Hopefully, you had time lines placed in your counter offer, maybe your agent used a counter offer addendum that has a built in response time. Also check with escrow, even if the seller signs off on the rescission, escrow may have a 30 day period to hold the funds.

Always build in contingencies and time lines to protect yourself!

Best of luck.
If the seller signed the release, it should be only a matter of days before the escrow agent refunds the monies.
Kline,

Sorry for the confusion, I deleted my original answer because I did not read the question correctly.

In short, it depends on what your contract states. I am not sure if the contracts in VA define a time frame for the seller to sign a release when the buyer is requesting one. Most often times it does not cover response times from the seller when the release is being requested because of the actions of a third party. Or the contract might afford the seller a "reasonable" time frame to respond. I would read your contract and look to your agent for advice. You should receive the refund of your EMD within a few days of the seller signing the release. If the seller refuses to sign a release, you could be in for a long haul which usually ends up in small claims court. That will depend on the laws and customs in your area.

Good luck!!

Gina Storeholder
704-299-5254
gstoreholder@cbunited.com