Foreclosure in San Jose>Question Details

Ron, Home Owner in California

What would be the best resource in finding property preservation contractors?

Asked by Ron, California Wed Oct 24, 2012

Work including: Lock Changes, House Securing, Debris Removal, Winterizations, Grass Cuts/Recuts

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Ron,

Okay, I see you are a property preservation expert and want to know how to make some contacts and money.

First, you might find it much simpler to call yourself a contractor and not a property preservation expert. If you are not yet a contractor, you should give serious thought to becoming one. Realtors prefer contractors to unlicensed handymen for liability and work quality reasons.

Second, we don't really have much need for the type of service you are suggesting. With banks providing homeowners with faster turnaround on short sales, and less hostile foreclosure processes, there simply is not the level of debris or damage removal that once existed in the market. Even if there was a lot to be done, most of us have a variety of workers we can call and, believe me, we would call an army of workers to a site because a quick turnaround is vital to selling these homes for investors.

Third, houses are selling so fast, there is really no repeat business once the home is set for sale.

You can contact large real estate firms and leave flyers advertising your business to see if you can get contracts. We can all be enticed to try you if you add a "get to know me" percentage off coupon or a flat fee for a particular service, for example, room painting at $99 per room. But, again, call yourself a handyman if you have no license or a contractor if you do and drop the preservation specialist angle to give yourself the widest appeal to your potential audience.

Good luck,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 25, 2012
I’d recommend you contact a number of real estate offices in your area and ask to talk to agents who do a good volume of foreclosure listings – they will be very acquainted with local companies who do exactly what you are asking for.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 25, 2012
All of us have Contractors who do a wide range of work on property from minor handyman work to building you a new house. You may contact anyone of us who post on this site for recommendations to some very good contractors.

I can give you some recommendations for some very good contractors. You may contact me at my cell phone: (408)509-6218 or my email address:

Thank you,
Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Email Address:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 24, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer