Foreclosure in Orlando>Question Details

Missp26, Home Buyer in Orlando, FL

What happens to a tenant who paid first and last was given keys, and finds dated air fresheners in the home and signed a lease and later sees the?

Asked by Missp26, Orlando, FL Sun Feb 23, 2014

home is owned by Fannie Mae? Do they have to move? What does this all mean?

Answers

5
Wait, you signed a lease without first previewing the home?
Did you lease from a reputable property manager that has a storefront?
Do you have an address where to mail the payments or a person whom to deliver them?

No reputable property manager will lease a property that has been foreclosed (and if there was any exception it has to be clearly disclosed). Monthly payments must be done at the property management office, so you have proof it was delivered.

With the little info you provided it does sound like a scam. Verify with any real estate if the property is listed for sale with a RE broker. If not, then contact Fannie Mae directly. If a scam you will need to make a police report. And maybe make a call to the to the Channel 9 investigative reporter...they may be able to find you some answers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 24, 2014
If the property is in fact owned by the Fannie Mae, it can't really be rented--banks are not in the rental business, they sell such properties; therefore the rental could have been a scam, so you may wish to report it to the local authorities and begin searching for a new home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 23, 2014
Buyer or renter beware. its always a good idea to verify the person renting you the home is really allowed to rent it to you. In Florida you can search the property appraisers website to see who owns the home. So if the person claims to be the landlord and his or her name is different, I would start to wonder what is going on. If you see the home is owned by a bank then that a huge issue, banks don't rent homes. Its been a months since this post I hope the issue has been sorted out since then.

Lots of cash required up front is usually a red flag
Well here's what happen, we saw an ad on Craigslist and it seemed to be an awesome deal, 4/3 listed at 1300 per month first and security. Corresponded on line a few times and decided to meet the owner. He showed us the home and we decided a few days later to move forward. We paid cash and received a rent / deposit receipt. He gave us the keys and when we went back to clean to our standards we noticed air fresheners that were dated in each bathroom. I believe they were turned in a way that we could not see the dates before. I got suspicious and called the so called land lord and the number was disconnected. I had a friend do some research and she found that this home was in foreclosure and the bank now owns it. We have no other place to go now so what advice can you give? Oddly before we rented there was a lockbox and when we got the keys to move in the box was gone. We have two small children. Can we stay until someone comes or what should we do.
Very sorry, but it sounds like you are the victim of fraud. Contact the local police or sheriff. And report this to Craigslist.
Flag Wed Feb 26, 2014
Do you have a signed lease....Unfortunately it sounds like a scam, therefore report to the local authorities and begin searching for a new home.
Flag Mon Feb 24, 2014
Banks (aka Fannie or Freddie) don't usually rent homes. They sell them as bank owned. If the bank really does own the house then I would be wondering if you are scammed. Who signed the lease? Where are they and have you met them? If not then I would be worried. We don't have enough to go on based on what you have told us. I have no idea what the dated air things would have to do with anything. I would be concerned about wo owns it and did the person have a right to rent it to you.

Here is what I would do. Open the phonebook under Real Estate and call a couple offices and ask the person answering the phone to check the ownership of a property for you. Explain it to them and see if they can access public records (many counties have this ability) to see who owns it. If it comes back as bank owned then find your landlord and question them.