Foreclosure in 91350>Question Details

Candy, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

What happans to propert after someone dies leaving no will and family members live thier and can't afford it?

Asked by Candy, Los Angeles, CA Mon Mar 2, 2009

Family members were liviving together grandma paid all bills. During her last months granddaughter took care of her in the home until she died. Payments on house are $7k a month and not affordable. How long do they have until they have to move?

I am sorry to hear about your loss. To address your question, I would advise you to speak with an attorney who specializes in Probate. The situation you are speaking of is called "Dying Intestate" which means they died without a will, and the law has some very specific rules regarding how the assets (homes, cars, money, etc.) owned by someone who dies without leaving a will are to be divided amongst their family members.

Contact the lawyer as soon as you can because it will take some time to get these things sorted out and the County has a process headed by a person called a Public Administrator whose job it is to protect the assets for the lawful heirs (siblings, children, grandchildren, etc.) or, if the person had no family, the State.

If you need any further information, assistance or have any other questions, Please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help you to the best of my ability.

Take care and have a wonderful day!

Tisza Major-Posner, Realtor, IVPG Realty (909) 837-8922 or (213) 392-4084
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 2, 2009