Question Details

Calicokittyc…, Other/Just Looking in Westland, MI

What do I do after the sheriff sale in Wayne county Michigan?

Asked by Calicokittycat, Westland, MI Thu Jan 5, 2012

I have a sheriff sale date for next week and I am moving out this weekend. I do not want to stay during the 6 months redemption period. The house will be empty on the date the sale occurs but the curtains are shut and lights and gas still on and I don't know how to let them know the house is going to be empty on that day. I am afraid of vandals if I leave the curtains open so it can be seen that it is empty. Do I need to wait until the transfer is recorded at the clerks office in a couple weeks or does the ownership transfer the day of the sale? Also how do I find out how much was bid and the price the house sold for at the auction? Thanks in advance.

Answers

2
Ok the day of the Sharif sale is not the day the property will transfer to the highest bidder or the bank (most likely the bank will out bid everyone), therefore you will still be the owner of record and you would be liable if anything were to happen on the property while you were still the owner of record.
Why are you leaving, you could live there rent free for at least the next 6 months if not much longer?

Good Luck
Bob Patrick
Buy a home after foreclosure, short sale, deed-in-lieu-of or bankruptcy expert
Movin-On LLC
Helping families/people that have or will loss their homes get back into another in as little as 6 months
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 5, 2012
I already made arragements to move and have rented an apartment. I do not want to live in the house any longer because it does need some repairs that I cannot afford to make so its already a done deal and won't be staying after the sale completes. Please tell me how do I give the bank the house back after the sale since it will already be empty? It is a loan owned by fannie mae and not by a bank. Do I contact the trustee or the servicer of the loan or do I just open the curtains so they can see that it is empty? Do I need to wait until the sheriffs deed is recorded at the wayne co courthouse? When it is recorded does that make the transfer final so that they are responsible at that point? Thanks for your help.