Foreclosure in Reseda>Question Details

Johnnygirl, Renter in Reseda, CA

What can we do if we are renting a house that is in default and the plumbing just went out the landlord refuses to fix it?

Asked by Johnnygirl, Reseda, CA Tue Jul 20, 2010

What are our options we have no plumbing at all

Help the community by answering this question:


Dear Johnnygirl;
I am so sorry for your predicament. This is the danger of renting/ leasing a property without doing a title search on the property beforehand. Renters, beware! The reason that the property is in default is that the owner cannot/ will not make payments, and if they are about to lose the property, they have no incentive to make improvements. As a tenant, you have rights; however, enforcing them is a difficult and time consuming process, especially when you are in ill health.
You will probably need the assistance of an attorney to help you.
Good luck,
Deborah Bremner
REALTOR, 00588885
(D) 818.564.6591
Blogging at:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 20, 2010
It looks like you live in Reseda,I would call the L.A. county health department ,you have to have plumbing that is in working order .You can also show the rental agreement to an attorney & have them write a letter to the owner ,good luck !
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 1, 2014
In Los Angeles County contact the local counsel member in you area. They will be able to help you find out what renters right you have and you can plan accordingly.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 1, 2014
JG -

If you can live woth the issu efor a short while, you should speak with an attorney prior to making any repairs or moving out to understand your rights first. The worst thing would be if you made repairs or moved out and the landlord / owner sued YOU !

Best of luck and let us know what happens,

Thom Colby
Broker / Owner & Certified HAFA Specialist
Thom Colby Properties
Newport Beach, CA
Moving Lives Forward (TM)
We NEVER DOUBLE-END a Transaction in our Brokerage. It is never beneficial to the Seller or to the Buyer and it is only beneficial to the Agent.
888-391-5245 Direct Cell
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 20, 2010
Get the heck out of there. (Not knowing all the intricacies...) When the landlord failed to make repairs on a habitability issue, they effectively negated the lease. Why would you stay and pay to fix someone else's problem. On top of which, you may become liable if you have repairs performed (by an unlicensed contractor, designated substandard, without permits, etc.). Provided you can find an acceptable alternative, save yourself and don't unpack.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 20, 2010
Hi Johnnygirl,

Your question was duplicated on our site. You can thus find some additional answers to your inquiry if you access the link below.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 20, 2010
JG, Sorry to hear of your frustrating situation. From what I understand, you should be able to make the repair yourself and deduct it from next month's rent as a rental unit must be inhabitable. See the web reference for the CA tenant booklet. Best of luck to you.

Risa Liebster, Realtor®
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 20, 2010
Hi Johnygirl,
What an unfortunate situation you have on your hands - I feel for you. It would be difficult to go after the property owner especially if they are in default and this would be very time consuming - not to mention taxing on the nerves. You may end up having to pay for the repair yourself and deducting it from your rent due next month.

I would first suggest calling the city and filing a complaint. Speak to a representative and get advice. You may also need to speak with an attorney to enforce your rights.

I wish you luck and a speedy repair!


Reuben Pacheco
Prudential California Realty
Pacific Design Center- West Hollywood
8687 Melrose Avenue, Suite G271
West Hollywood, CA 90069

323 466 5358 Offc.
213 804 4245 Mobile
Reuben.Pacheco ( SKYPE)
preuben ( TWITTER)
Reuben.Pacheco1 ( Facebook)
TheReubenPacheco ( YOUTUBE)
GOOGLE ME ( Reuben Pacheco)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 20, 2010
Thanks so much for getting back you all have been very helpful
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 20, 2010
You'll need to contact an attorney or the city. The city may provide legal advice to you. If you are paying rent, you may be able to withhold rent to make the needed repairs. And, of course, you can always move.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 20, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer