Foreclosure in 48602>Question Details

Irishwanderl…, Other/Just Looking in Kalamazoo, MI

We are renting a property and just received a notice that a Mortgage Foreclosure Sale is scheduled for later

Asked by Irishwanderlust, Kalamazoo, MI Fri May 8, 2009

this month. Our landlords are trying to reinstate the mortgage.

If they are unsuccessful at reinstating the mortgage, what actions will follow? What is the average timeline we have before we will need to be out of the house?

I appreciate any information you can provide.

Answers

2
Jeremy Sulak’s answer
Irishwanderlust,

I am glad you're here! Well you have a couple options here.

(1) do you like where you are living? would you ever consider purchasing the home? You may be in a prime position to own a home your comfortable with and love at deep discount pricing. Does this sound good to you?

(2) If the bank has notified you of a foreclosure, you have a contract to prove that you are rightfully living there and the cashed rent checks to prove it. In your situation you may be able to approach the bank and either negotiate to remain in home as a renter or a lease with option to buy while they figure out what to do with the home, just be prepared to prove that you have been making payments monthly to the owner. How would you feel about something like this?

(3) You are the tenent occupying the home, the bank forecloses on the home and they want to take back possession of that home. You will need to be out of the home, but to insure that the home will be turned over in good condition banks can and will offer you, what is called cash-for keys (I can send you more information). These are general concessions made to you as the occupant instead of the owner of the home who never sees it, call the bank who came to issue you a notice and explore this option if you flat out want to move out of the property.

If you have more questions I can answer them confidentially for you through the "ask me a question" link in the upper right of my web page. Of these three options what sounds like it may work best for you in your situation?

Look forward to hearing from you,

Jeremy
Web Reference: http://myhomemichigan.com
Stay in contact with your Landlord and the Lender. Contact the lender to let them know you have been renting the property and ask them what options you have. They may be willing to help you purchase if you so choose.
Ask for the "Auction Date" if scheduled. If you are in Michigan, there is a 6 month redemption period, during which time you can stay in the property. At the end of the redemption period, the Lender may allow you to rent from them until it is sold as Bank owned property.

If you want more help contact me anytime.
Web Reference: http://MBShomes.com