Foreclosure in Atlanta>Question Details

Looking for…, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

We are in currently looking to purchase a home. I would love to grab up one of these foreclose homes that would normally be out of our price range

Asked by Looking for Knowledge, Atlanta, GA Thu Feb 25, 2010

for a bid in our price range. I have found some newer homes that are Bank Owned asking price $309K would it be unrealistic to offer a bid of about 225K?

Answers

62
Hello again Loren!

What you are looking for is a tool that will show you the Foreclosure Amount and Listing Price so you have a sense of how much money the bank has invested in the home.
RealValuator.com is a free site that provides this information. Try searching the address of one of the homes you've found. You will get the information you need, and also see any Bank Owned properties in the area that have sold, including the price they foreclosed at giving you an indication of what banks are willing to accept.

RealValuator also shows Foreclosures when they happen, so you'll have a head start finding new properties to consider.

All the best!
Web Reference: http://www.RealValuator.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 20, 2010
You should hire a real estate agent who knows your submarket(s) on retainer - pay them an up front fee of maybe $4500-5000, just for the privilege of working with a savvy consultant. You need to make a lot of offers in order to find your needle in a haystack, although you can always employ a substandard agent who will work for free and write unintelligent offer after unintelligent offer.

You don't want to be talking about this same issue in 90 days, now do you?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If only that were the case, right! Obviously the general public has the same perception as the OP: foreclosures are a bargain at HALF the price, and real estate agents perform a non paid form of community service. I was working with a former employee for about 4 months, putting in offers which included many REO properties. The REO properties usually paid as much as HALF the commission as a regular sale, and required twice the follow up. It was nearly impossible, well it proved to actually be impossible, to get through his head that all of our offers were being rejected and yet the properties were selling less than he offered---but they never approached HIM to come back into the deal. The fact was they were selling for very close to the last listed price, a fact that all of my efforts to point out were ignored, and the fact that the bank was not a human being who would consider "gee that guy Frank was pretty nice, let's go back to his offer". The bank is a machine that will lower the price periodically, and wait till someone bites at close to it. "200,000? No? NEXT! 195,000? No? NEXT! 190,000? No? NEXT!" They don't say oh wait, let's call that guy back who offered 200,000 back when we were listed at 235,000.

Like another poster said, when they are listed on MLS it is really a third offering. There are agents I know who get emails on their phones the moment a foreclosure property is listed---and sometimes it has multiple offers by the time they drive past it and eyeball it. That said, I have also sold one foreclosure that was not a horror, and was actually a good deal, although it wasn't a STEAL and it still required a fair amount of work. It was also on a street that most people wouldn't have considered because of it's traffic. But good luck, knock yourself out!
Hi I. Jackson,
I was just at a seminar hosted by Bank of America . In the seminar the question of how does the bank determine what an acceptable offer came up. According to the bank rep the bank gets an avg, of 92% of the "market price" for the property. The issue about that statement is, who determines market price?
My advise is have your agent run a C.M.A. on the property to help determine a good baseline for an offer. In the case you stated if the CMA came up with a price of 300,000 with the avg. the bank gave they may accept a 274,000 offer. Remember there is no certainty in any of this because this is all based on avg. figures .
So to answer your question would it be unrealistic to offer a bid of 225k. The odds are against it being accept but just like anything, you never know the bank " might" accept it. The question is how much is your time worth?
And How much do you want that home.
Sometimes buying a foreclosure is more trouble than it's worth (believe me!). In today's market, there are some very nice houses for sale that are not foreclosed. When I search for a house, I always put my maximum price higher than I want. Many times sellers are willing to negotiate. It doesn't hurt to make an offer. You never know what will happen. It used to be that sellers were offended by lower offers, and real estate agents would refuse to submit them. Things have changed though. Good luck in finding your dream home!
We are closing on an REO home next week. We've slowly been recovering from financial ruins over the last 3 years. Been living in a 1984 mobile home the last 2 years. We are still no where near to being "well off" infact we're probably still living below the poverty line with a family of 5, but we are about to get into a home. Assessed value of the home is 92,100, according to people in the community it has been sitting there empty for at least 1 maybe 2 years. Home sold for 80k in 2002. Its been on the market since at least March of this year who knows how long they dragged their feet on the foreclosure process. Due to the market being absolute crap around here and the home falling into slight disrepair for sitting empty for so long they had the asking price all the way down to 29,900, we offered 24k last week Monday afternoon, and had heard back from the agent by 11am Tuesday (very next day) that they accepted. Gonna be around 5k for new roof and some minor vinyl siding fixups, then a whole lot of little stuff we'll be doing ourselves, but we're gonna have a pretty damn nice 4 bedroom, 1 bath, over 2000sqf house for around 30k. With a 15yr mortage we're only gonna be paying around 330/month including taxes and insurance, heck thats only a little more than we pay per month just to park our freaking trailor now. Of course its too late now, but after looking more into it I'd be willing to bet that they would have accepted an offer as low as 18-22k, probably offered too much.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 20, 2010
yes you can make offers to the banks for the house. There is usually a realtor that has that particular house, get in touch with them, and you can offer some obscenely low amount and see what they say. Example. There was a house selling for 102k. bank forclosure, on the markey for over a year no buyers they kept lowering the price down to 35k. Then ther was an offer of 18k and the bank took it!!! so yes you have a chance! good luck!! I know the 'pros' would say oh no you cant or its a bad idea if you do what if it sells blah blah blah, if it sells then they were already working on it before you came along and found it. A great FREE resource to find these homes is at the local court houses of the area you want to live in. Also you dont have to hire any realtor or you can do it your self, however you must do alot of research on what you need to do. an alternate might be a title company, not sure if they deal in forclosures though. An agent would be good for information for sure, But most agents tend to help if you call them up to ask a question anyway. So if you have help from an agent and buy a place, maybe consider giving them a percentage of the sale to thanks them for their efforts and time if you didnt officially hire them. Im sure the agents who see this will hate me for saying all this and its probably bad advice any. Just go with your gut feeling, youll know when you getting taken advantage of and someone is not telling you the truth. use your intuition.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 20, 2010
Foreclosures may be a good buy; but!!!!!!!!!! Many people are unloading their homes at good values as well trying to avoid the marks of a foreclosure on their credit, so people are ctting their loses before they hurt their credit, so sit down with a local Reealtor for the area you are looking in and work with them. Tell them what you want and ask them to find you the best prices they can for what you need! If you are trying to but investment property we can sit down and work the numbers to find you a home that will bring you back the best gains for your investment! Here in Hernado County in Florida we have homes and condos that are going for as low as $30,000 and well if it is a 2/2 you can still get $600 a month rent on a hoe like this! We have hundreds of homes in the low 50's and 60'sthat once sold for twice that or more! So now is the time to jump in, you money will work the best for you in this market! Once enough people jump in these deals will quickly disappear and the buying market will start to close up! Now as far as the situation above bidding $225K on a home that the Bank has listed at $309K is very unrealistic, They may let it go for 10% difference in the asking price but the bank feels they have already put this home on the market at a rock bottom price so an offer in the $280's would be just about pushing it, they will most likely counter such an offer, the %225 price would most likely be ignored or simply declined by the bank as they would feel you are not being realistic and they would not waste the time with a counter!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 13, 2010
Get your pre approval letter ready and make an offer...........then WAIT...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 7, 2010
Miss Jackson, of course you can make any offer that you would like, the question is will they accept the offer? As you know the banks have already lost their shirts on all this foreclousres some homes as much as 60 to 70 percent ! So I ask you; do you want to risk the chance of being turned down on a property that you love, and also that is more than likely priced at a more than reasonable price?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 7, 2010
Right now you can get a GREAT price on a home that is much larger than the one you would normally get.

Do remember, that the Taxes will be higher and the utilities! It would be smarter for you to get a normal home for you at a GREAT Price and live Way Below your means.

This hole problem is people spending money they do not have, buying things that they do not need, to impress people they do Not Like!

Take advantage of this situtation and do it right! That way you can have a future the way YOU want it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 25, 2010
Hello new home buyer,

Home buyers are offering much less than the listing price. However, keep in mind that the bank may ask for you to come to more of a reasonable offer. Make sure you work with an experienced Realtor that has dealt with foreclosures in the past!!!
Good Luck on your search!!

Jami Douglas, CNC, CPM
Broker/Owner
Property Manager
Future Property Services, Inc
Oak Forest, IL
@ Jeff....What if you look at my recent post below it explains a little more.
If 5 million people buys one investment property we can reduce supply this would raise demand. This is the only way hame values will start to climb again. Get off the bench and get in the game.
If you do buy a forclosure.....Please get the tax information on the property from the county, get the replacement cost policy estimate from you insurance agent.....make sure you have a reputable home inspection completed and lastly....if you are financing the property.....make sure your loan officer presents this to his underwriter as a REO purchase......Take it from me...this will save you a lot of grief.
Thanks Michael...when I originally posted this information I wasn't sure of the cost. My husband and I do not want to go over the price range of $1750 for a mortgage (that's including taxes, HOA and insurance). The foreclosed homes we are looking at are newer homes 2004 -2010. I think it is a good idea to hire a Realtor and we plan to do so. Right not we are positioning ourselves to purchase and we thought this process would have been completed so by the begining of the year we should be ready to close or move in already.

@ Ahmad....I looked at the website reoprep you referred but I'm not willing to pay for anymore sites. I'm drained with paying for sites and the properties are just recycled. @ Kim....thanks for the advice we will definitely conduct comps on the property prior to bidding on a home.
Before you jump on a "deal" you need to consider other things. If the correct price range for you is $225K, does that take into consideration property tax, homeowners insurance, HOA fees, etc.? I would hate to see you jump on a house that offers a low mortgage in terms of principle and interest, but that then has an additional monthly payment of $500 or more because of higher taxes, etc. Do the research, and get the help of a Realtor. Remember that the seller pays your Realtor's commission, so the help is basically free.

Dear Homebuyer,
What you offer depends on what the comparable sales have been for recent homes in the same condition/size. Banks will typically accept offers that are a little less if there are no other offers on the table but you need to consult with a Realtor in your area to determine what a fair price would be. Even thought the banks have a lot of inventory they are not "giving away homes" for huge discounts. You may get a better deal looking at public auctions but you will not have the same opportunity for home inspections typically which are very important, especially for a cash strapped first time home buyer!
In this scenario it depends on the property itself, in the 'old days' foreclosures consisted of crappy properties that were beat up, and banks would take low offers, today with normal people getting foreclosed on banks are more apt to hold out for a higher price knowing the listing agent they are using is listing it at a very fair market value. I've seen beautiful foreclosures that the bank will only go 2 to 3% below asking price and that's it. If it's a fixer up you may be able to get it at a steal but these days banks don't take low ball offers if the current market is supporting good offers.
There are lots of bargains in purchasing a home these days. A $200K home today would have cost you about $300K or more two or three years ago. In most cases the list price of a bank foreclosure is based on current market values so in your example the asking price of $309K would be todays value and 3 years ago the home would have cost over $400K. Notice I said in most cases the list price is already adjusted for todays market price. The best way to assure yourself you are getting a good deal is to have your Realtor do a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) for the home you would like to make an offer on. CMA's or not just for clients who which to sell, it is a very good tool when purchasing a home. Making a competitive offer on a home is the best way to assure your success in buying a home.
Short sales and foreclosures are very different from normal transactions. Often, instead of dealing with a human being (seller), you will be dealing with what I call a "non-entity"- that panel or department within a bank which services these matters. It can be quite frustrating and lenghty at times. I suggest using a reputable Realtor in your area of which you want to purchase - one who is experienced in these transactions. They can guide you through the process and advise you of what offer to make.... should you not want to get outbid.
We have a proper "Buyer Agency Agreement" form thru GAR which we complete with you and it spells out our responsibilities to you as your "Buyer's Agent". In addition, I have a "Buyer Agency Designation" thru RE/MAX, Above the Crowd!
@ Kathleen
How do you assure that you have a buyer's agent?
Anything is possible but it is not common for banks to accept low ball offers. They follow their guidelines. Make an offer and see if they accept but do not fall in love with the house till it is yours because you do not want to be disappointed if they do not accept.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Keep in mind, Ms. Tasha that the Realtor that has a bank owned/foreclosure or REO property listed represents the SELLER...Buyers need to be represented by a "Buyer's Agent", who can be sure they are property "represented" in the transaction...have you seen a HUD Statement for a foreclosure? This is a detailed statement you see @ the closing table. Good luck trying to work your way thru it without the help/knowledge of a "seasoned", Buyer's Agent who knows the market, knows the ins & outs of the closing process and can be sure that the Buyer's questions & concerns are addressed. Buyers need a Buyer's Agent in ANY market; now more than ever! With my 27 yrs. of real estate experience, we don't just buy houses, we "buy houses right". http://www.northeastatlantarealestate.com RE/MAX Atlanta
Brandy that is awesome!
Thanks Kathleen...I will look over your information.
Tasha thank you for the encouragement.
It is a great time to grab up a foreclosed home or relocation property. What most buyers don't realize is that a bank is usually willing to let one sit for 1-2 years before they will take a "lowball" offer. There is usually a percentage that is followed in the sale of these homes. Usually these properties are priced with the condition already in mind. They typically are not priced according to payoffs etc. An appraisal is done based on the condition of the property and the pricing is based off of this. You can definately offer whatever you want but most banks and REO companies will not respond if the offer is too low.
In my area the REO sales are mostly in the starter home price range. They are almost always in challenged condition and take at least some work. The market has long ago adjusted to the impact of the foreclosures, so you won't see any houses, REOs or not, going for significantly less than any of any recent (last 90 days) sales in the neighborhood. (This is sad news to people who are trying to sell their well tended, loved home in good condition.)

I would not go any lower than 10% of the sales price and expect to get a response. I have gotten banks down quite a bit with inspection reports that turn up things not visible walking through the house, but that was AFTER the initial offer was accepted. BTW, the Buyer pays for inspections, so don't offer on anything you wouldn't want to foot the inspection bill on.

My advice in a nut shell: If you're buying a house to live in buy what you love the idea of living in. If you're going to be there for a minimum of 6 years the market is going to go up and down and in the meantime you will be happy with your home. If you're buying to invest, same time frame, maybe longer. Choose carefully.
Foreclosures can be a fantastic deal, but there are a few cautions you need to observe: Does the property have an IRS tax lien? - those do not go away after a property has been foreclosed upon. Does the price being listed by the bank reflect the true market value now? As for offering a bid of $225K, you need to know what the bank foreclosed on. Some banks will list the property at the amount that they are stuck with, others will listen to their agent and list the property at a fair market value. Generally, when you get the amount the bank foreclose on, you can start your offer about 20% below. The danger of offering $225K and it being WAY below what the bank foreclosed on is NOT getting a counter offer. If that happens, you can up your bid in another offer or search for another property. This is where the value of a Realtor comes into play. A Realtor can research the court records and get all the data you need to make a realistic bid on the property. A good Realtor will be able to negotiate with the banks agent and bring you a successful bid.
Do research, research, research. Depending on your area, the type of property, your credit score, days on the market, deals happen everyday. Get your financing in order and make the offer. Banks are more eager than you think to get these off their books. In my area I am seeing homes close over $100,000 under list. And 4% financing, it is a Buyer's market. Best of luck!!
Default of not asking is NO! Anything is possible in this market.
YES...! I am an approved REO agent with several banks, and I have yet to have an offer accepted offering that much from list price. The bank will simply wait it out for a higher offer. Remember, just because it is an REO, does not mean that the property is not worth current market value. Properties are priced by two-three agents providing an BPO..(.broker price opinion,) and it is also appraised by a certified appraiser. Hope this helps....
...it would unrealistic if you hope to succeed. The larger question is whether the home is priced realistically, if it is, then it will like sell within a fairly narrow band to asking. If it is priced so off the mark that a 27% discount to asking is realistic, the there are bigger troubles with the realism overall of the seller and the representing agent.

What you need is a good agent to help you with the pricing question and to help you identify properties that are within your grasp.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
I would concur that an offer $84K (27%) lower than list price would be wasting your time and the time of your agent.

With that said however, you could have your agent look for some properties in the northern Atlanta burbs that have been on the market for awhile. The bank may be unrealistic about price or may not had any offers for some time. You could come in maybe 10% to 15% below list price with the understanding that there will probably be some negotiating but you'll still walk into instant equity.

The other thing you must be ready for will be the repairs needed. The biggest reason bank owned properties sit in the mid to upper level is that they have a lot of differed maintenance or maybe the homeowners did some damage on the way out. So be careful what you determine to be a "good deal"!

Good Luck to you! It's been some time since I was in your area - great town!
Find a full time agent with a staff that specializes in foreclosures only!!....Strongly consider an up front retainer for there services, be ready to pull the trigger and have all your financials complete.
Web Reference: http://wnyadvantage.com
yes! Since the bank owned properties are already below market value the bank will usually take no less than 95% with most of the homes selling for over asking. Good luck
Yes, Banks usually price to be able to just get what they are owed. Usually they do not have $50- $100,000 to go down on their price.
Hi Ms. Jackson,

We are at a unique period right now. Home prices are at a 10-year low, and interest rates are at a 60-year low. So, it is a great time for you to buy a home.

If you meet these conditions, go ahead and make the offer:

* You have time before you must move into the house
* You have the patience to wait through the bank's process
* You can walk away with no self recrimination if you do not get the house

My recommendation is that you work with a REALTOR® that has experience with foreclosures to make sure your chances are the best they can be.

Marilyn Stark
REALTOR® at Century 21 Heritage Realty
7740 N Oracle, Suite 106
Tucson, AZ
(520) 243-0060
In my area bank owned homes sell for close to what the bank is asking. Bear in mind banks do not just pull figures out of the air to put a price on a home, they have them appraised. Remember that REOs usually need a LOT of work, also, so they may not be the bargain you might think they are. If they were we would all own them in multiples.
It would really depend on the comparables in the neighborhood/area that you are looking at, which is what the bank/ower is looking at to establih a price. If the house is already priced right for the market, they will not entertain an offer that low. If it is priced too high and you can prove it, they might. Also, your terms play a part of whether they will entertain a lower offer. A cash offer with no contengencies and a quick closing might work if it has been on the market for quite a while.
Dear Jackson,

Answer your own question by making that offer!
We are all just guessing and what does that get you!
You go girl and DO IT.
When you wish upon a star makes no difference who you are. Your wish comes true.
Come back and tell us.
Good Luck
Gabe

I personally hope you get what you are after than come back and tell us.
More than likely an offer so low will probably not be accepted. Bear in mind...the bank knows the true value of the home. The seller has make certain the listing agent has completed an analysis of the sold and listed properties in the area. And more than likely an appraisal has done as well. Ask your real estate agent to send you a list of the properties that have recently sold in the property's subdivision. This will give you an accurate value of the property's worth. Then submit accordingly. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.DesariJabbar.com
Yes, I don't believe a bank would consider an offer this much lower than asking price without some really good documentations.
You offer what you think the house is worth to you.
In the process be careful that you are not buying into a dream that you cannot afford.
Making bids requires more than luck it requires your ability to structure an offer on a home that you want and can well afford.
It is useless making offers that go nowhere and you already have figured that out.
Set your maximum goal, if that happens to be $225,000 look at bank owned properties $250,000-$275,000 range. That may work. There is a misconception that banks are giving properties away. I wish that was true we would all be there buying. The list price on a bank owned property may have a10- 15 % play. They will look at cash no differently. However if two offers come in at the same price one with financing contingency the other cash. You can be assured that the cash will win. This is why when you are bidding on a house that you like you are always faced with that reality. The other guys offer may be cash. The best way to bid is stay within 5% of the asking price range. With todays mortgage rates you are better of with a mortgage than paying cash. Paying a bit more on a house you don't want to loose won't make much difference in payments on that 4.5% interest rate.
I believe that it would be unrealistic to expect that offer to be accepted. However, I do not believe that you should not offer on it. Like the answer before mine, I was in the BOA hosted seminar, they gave us the same number (92% of FMV). Here is the question you need to ask yourself:" Would this company host an event, then tell everyone that they should encourage their clients to offer 50% of asking price" NO, that would be absurd. I believe that you should offer what you think the house is worth to you. If the house is only worth 225K to you, then don't offer more then you feel comfortable. I hope this helps! Keep us posted on the results, I am sure we'd all like to know if you got the house!
Thank you Wild Rumpus, Yvette and Nancy. I will take your advice in consideration. :)
Buyers agent who represents you best determine what is your best interest. Many home buyers believe they can offer 50% or more on foreclosed property when in many instances not the case. Media can drive Realtors crazy giving the general public a false impression off what is real what is not.

Each home stands alone in submitting a winning sales offer.

Lynn911.com
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Hi Loren, if you are still shopping for a mortgage for that foreclosure you can view updated mortgage rates - currently at all time lows - at http://www.current-mortgage-rates.net and fha rates at http://www.fha-rates-today.com thanks.
Loren,
One of the issues with buying foreclosures is that they have essentially been passed over two times already.

First, by the investors who search the paper for pre-foreclosue opportunities.
Second, by the second tier of investors on the court house steps on the day of the foreclosure.

So, the ones on the market are actually third tier listings so to speak.

Have you picked up the phone and spoken with an agent who has helped folks buy foreclosures?

I would be happy to speak with you. You can reach me at 404-401-1460.

Amy Weeks
Keller Williams Realty Metro Atlanta
amyweeks@kw.com
http://www.amyweeks.com
404-401-1460
Hello again Loren!

All the best!
@ Lee Taylor....thanks but No thanks for your advice.....Hire someone and pay them $4500-$5000 up front to assist me...... that is absolutely ridiculous.
1 2