Foreclosure in Boston>Question Details

cia, Renter in Boston, MA

Trying to find out who owns foreclosed(?) condo

Asked by cia, Boston, MA Fri May 18, 2012

My daughter (going to school in Boston) has been leasing an apt since January. She was told the apt. was being foreclosed on and someone bought it at auction sometime in May. She has been visited by 2 different gentlemen and spoken with another, all claiming to be either buying the condo or have bought it. In the meantime, she is still paying rent to the original owner's representative. How can I find out definitely who the owner is to determine who she should be paying rent to?

Answers

3
Check the public records for the info you need.

Web Reference: http://territory.com
Thanks!!
Flag Fri May 25, 2012
The best way to find out who the property belongs to is to search the registry of deeds. Here is the link for MA:
http://www.masslandrecords.com/Suffolk
I suggest a "property search". If you hover your mouse over the words "search criteria" in the upper left had corner of the page, you can click on "property search" which will allow you to enter the address of the property your daughter lives in. This should bring you to a page which has links to copies of the deeds, etc.
Hypothetical questions:
Has anyone provided your daughter with a business card or paperwork regarding her tenancy? Does your daughter have proof of her rent payments.
You should contact a local attorney.
Thanks for the detailed info..... property is still showing same landlord she rented from. She has been paying with checks (I've encouraged her to do that or get a receipt if paying cash). We were supposed to get paperwork from one fellow showing he purchased the condo at auction, but we've not received anything to date.
Flag Fri May 25, 2012
She needs to talk to a local attorney, or contact a Realtor that can help her look up public records.
Thanks very much for the help...
Flag Mon May 21, 2012