Foreclosure in 95210>Question Details

shortylvta, Renter in San Jose, CA

The new owner purchased the home I'm renting on the 5th and wants the rent on the 15th when there is major habitability issues that he wants me

Asked by shortylvta, San Jose, CA Thu Apr 11, 2013

to fix All the carpets were ripped out before i moved in and are all in the garage with all the rest of the prior tenants. I started a remodel on the house and stopped when i found out the owner was filing bankruptcy. Do I have to pay full rent in this condition is my concern and why would i have to clean something I didn't do

I would reach out to your Land Lord for clarification on the issues and perhaps let them know that you do not want to fix or repair anything else. Perhaps it's a misunderstanding and they are assuming you'd like to continue the remodel.

I again hope this helps.

Rocky G.H. Hawrysz
Prudential California Realty
(209) 444-6610 Direct
(209) 433-2000 Fax
(209) 915-6209 Mobile
License No. 01468373
Did the bank foreclose on the property or was the property sold in bankruptcy?

If the bank did foreclosed on the property then your previous rental agreement, might no longer be valid. But if you will have to move, you probably will have a month or two to find a new home. If the property was sold in bankruptcy, then your previous rental agreement probably still is valid and your rent is due when it normally is due. Either way you probably want to set down with the new owner and go over your rental agreement.

I can't believe that your new landlord expects you to clean up after the previous tenant. Unless they think it is your mess. When I handle rentals, I always do a visual inspection and document in flaws in the property. That way when the tenant moves out, we know what damage or mess the tenant is responsible for. Do you have documentation of the condition of the property? I agree why should you have to clean up the prior tenants messl
The neighborhood knows the condition of the house when i moved in the the work i did with my son to get at least the downstairs habitable. The rugs and there some of the things I think the didn't want are all in the garage and the side of the house and the back yard. I just was so upset the prior landlord lied to me I just decided to not do one more thing even if it meant living like this.I am a single mom without the funds to move so I got stuck.I can pay rent which i did but that's all I can do.
Flag Fri Apr 12, 2013
My question is, "Why are all the prior tenants in the garage?" jk

Your best bet would be to get legal advice from a real estate atty or call Fair Housing or HUD.