Foreclosure in Sacramento>Question Details

Raquel V Lop…, Renter in Sacramento, CA

The apt building i live in was sold at trustee sale, how long do i have to vacate?

Asked by Raquel V Lopez, Sacramento, CA Tue Oct 30, 2012

We have live here for over 3 yrs, and the property was sold about 3 weeks ago to an investor. A rep from the investment company served me with a 3 day notice today and says we have to be out in 3 days. Is that true? I thought we had 90 days in california to vacate after foreclosure. Im confused and would really like some clarification, the realtor said it not true. I think he was just being a bully and abusing his authority. Please help if you can.

Help the community by answering this question:


Maria Cipollone’s answer
Do the new owner send you a letter telling what they would like to do with the existing tenants? Generally speaking, the new owner have to notify the tenants their future plans for the building. Probably they want to remain the same. If that is not the case, they have to give at least 90 days to find another place.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 Tenace
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
Sorry I hadn't read about the 3 day notice. Sacramento county has free legal assistance at the courthouse for you to get advice from. They can't do anything and you can sue them for improper procedure if they turn off any utilities or in any way impede your use of the property. I don't know how that all works so you need legal advice on that.

And if you have a realtor bullying you, complain to the Dept. of Real Estate or the local Sacramento Association of Realtors. You can find their information on the website for consumer help.

That is a rare occurrence I would hope but understand your rights. You have 90 days, but you need to know how to enforce that.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
You don't need to vacate until you hear from the new owner, and quite honestly I would expect that they will likely want you to stay, as an apartment building is an investment property.

The tenancy laws protect you for a period of 90 days for a month to month rental at a minimum. If you have a signed lease then they will need to honor that lease. The only exception is for a single family home where the buyer is personally moving into the property.

You should be contacted by them. That's your opportunity to learn more about your options but if it were me, I'd make sure my apartment was clean and well taken care of. I wouldn't have a pet when it wasn't reflected on my lease and I'd present myself as a tenant that they'd want to continue renting to. I would also have a copy of your previous lease, and any evidence of payments that you've made on your lease (at least the last few months).

I think you should be okay. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
So sorry to hear that you are going through such a difficult time right now, however, a 3-Day Notice Pay or Quit is typically served to those who owe rent or in breach of their rental contract. If that is not the case, then you must be legally provided a 30-Day Notice.

Although we are Realtors, without all the specifics we can only provide you general information. In your case, I would highly encourage you to contact the Fair Housing and Employment Agency to seek free counsel. Please see the following link:

for California Handbook for Tenant and Landlord Responsibilities, please note for additional free assistance please see the contact information on page 95.

I wish you and your family best of luck.


Aneice Dixon, Realtor
All City Realty Group
428 J Street, #430
Sacramento, CA 95814
916.287.3463 direct
888.551.7603 fax
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 30, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer