Foreclosure in Kingman>Question Details

Andyholler, Renter in Kingman, AZ

Should you still pay rent, when you get a notice of trustee sale posted on your garage?

Asked by Andyholler, Kingman, AZ Mon Mar 12, 2012

We contacted the landlords and they acted like they had no clue what was going on. Then they would never return our calls. What should we do? We have contacted the re-conveyance company several times and the lien holder as well. They both told us to stop paying and to sit back until we are contacted.

Answers

4
I like Jay's answer.
Kathy Cutshaw
I agree with Jay. Take your lease to an Attorney.. Some leases I have seen state that the Landlord will keep current on payments of the property, if this is the case your landlord will be in breach of contract and you might have some rights there.
Seek Professional help with a real estate attorney.
You should talk to your landlord. Technically you have a agreement to pay rent and the home still belongs to the owner until the sale date which by the way is usually 90 days from the date of the notice. In the state of AZ it takes less then 30 days to evict. You might be able to work out a reduced rent with the owner. You would also be able to ask them what steps they are taking to keep the home. If they have no intension to keep the home and are not working with the bank then you might ask if they would be interested in selling it to you on a short sale if you can qualify. You can call me at 928-279-4957 and I would be happy to asist you.
Your rent is a contract. I highly suspect it does not say "rent payment due unless a notice of trustee sale is posted". The re-conveyance company and the lien holders are most likely not attorneys, neither is a party to your contract, and an attorney is the only person I'd ask for a legal matter like a contract.