Foreclosure in 95210>Question Details

shortylvta, Renter in San Jose, CA

Should I have to pay full rent while things are getting fixed? How long is reasonable to habitability?

Asked by shortylvta, San Jose, CA Fri Apr 12, 2013

Answers

3
Shortylvta,

This situation is covered starting on page 36 of the document below under "Repairs and Habitability".

http://docs.Steven-Anthony.com/Landlord-TenantGuideCA2012.pdf

-Steve
What are we talking about here? Are we talking about major appliances or something small? Have you talked to your landlord?
Landlord wants new contracts signed before any repairs.
Flag Sun Apr 14, 2013
The home was a filthy gutted abandoned home when i moved in because i thought it was a rent to own. I installed flooring downstairs installed tile in the kitchen and entryway to cover the cement. Painted the downstairs then ran out of money. Six months into the project the owner informed me that she was filing bankruptcy I stopped doing anything with the house.What is left is what i moved into.. no working master shower plus to filthy and staind to clean and no toilet (leaks thru whole in family room ceiiing) stained particle board subflooring throughout upstairs and stairs. windows that have no screens. No heating in all 3 rooms or ac. Filthy walls, broken toilet still works but doesnt flush properly. Downstairs toilet broken kitchen sink falling apart,garbage disposal leaking and plumbing not working. Agent for owner bought house 4/4 and dropped by a letter with one of my kids stating that he wanted to get contracts signed.
Flag Sun Apr 14, 2013
For any necessary legal advice consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate; much depends on your lease agreement, therefore review the document for possible answers....
if you can't afford an attorney, contact your Local Legal Aid Society for a pro bono attorney--free.
Flag Fri Apr 12, 2013
I wish I had money for an attorney I live in Stockton California. Thank you for the advise
Flag Fri Apr 12, 2013