Foreclosure in 34744>Question Details

ntorres19, Home Buyer in Kissimmee, FL

My mom lost a home to foreclosure that she purchased as a primary residence for my sister. Will this affect my dad purchasing a home?

Asked by ntorres19, Kissimmee, FL Wed Mar 28, 2012

He's trying to purchase an investment property for me. He currently owns a primary residence he and my mom are Not in default with. They never lived in the property and my dad never claimed the house in any way.

Answers

6
If your mother purchased said property as "primary residence" , she signed 2 documents - promisory note and mortgage. Since she was married to your dad at the time, most likely he was required to sign the mortgage too, not the "note". Your father is responsible for the terms of the mortgage.

The best way to find out is if your dad requests a copy of his credit report . If the loan in default was reported on his name too it will show there. If it doesn't show - he would not have any problems to obtain a mortgage providing that he meet all other qualification criteria.

As a consumer he can get a free credit report from all 3 agencies ( and it will not show as an inquary) by visiting http://www.annualcreditreport.com

Please vote if my answer was helpful.

Iliana Ivanova P.A.
Real Estate and Mortgage Broker
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 28, 2012
If your Dad wasn't on the mortgage for the home that was foreclosed on he will be fine.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 28, 2012
I agree with the other answers: It shouldn't be a problem SO LONG AS YOUR DAD WASN'T ON THE FORECLOSED MORTGAGE. Problem is, it's difficult to tell from your question whether he was. You say "They never lived in the property." That doesn't matter. And "my dad never claimed the house in any way." That doesn't matter.

It's not a matter of him claiming ownership (by being on the deed). It's not a matter of whether he lived in the property. The issue is whether he was on the mortgage or co-signed for your sister's house. If he was in any way financially obligated, then--yes--it could hurt him.

So: Check with your dad to find out precisely what his involvement was on the foreclosed home.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 28, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Hello Ms Torres,

Peter is exactly correct! If you need help searching for properties please contact me.

James Williams, III
RE/MAX Premier Properties
404 Broadway
Kissimmee, FL 34744
321-402-8047
jameswilliamsiii@remax.net
http://www.allkissimmeehomes.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 28, 2012
Your father is not going to have a problem with respect to what your Mom did. As long as he was not on the mortgage it will not report on his credit report. He will need to qualify for the mortgage to purchase an investment, in which case he will need to be Pre Approved by a bank. Please call me to discuss and we will help you navigate the waters. We are a direct lender and licensed in FL.

Peter Brown
Licensed Mortgage Professional
Private Client Division
Franklin First Financial, Ltd.
538 Broadhollow Road, Suite 401
Melville, New York 11747
Direct: 631-393-7524
Fax: 631-393-4696
Email: pbrown@FranklinFirstFinancial.com
http://www.franklinfirstfinancial.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 28, 2012
No, he shouldn't have a problem if he was not on the mortgage for that home.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 28, 2012