Foreclosure in North>Question Details

Gampy3, Both Buyer and Seller in Mooresville, IN

My husband is retiring in October of this year. We are looking to find a place close to the beach that we can remodel. Something very affordable so

Asked by Gampy3, Mooresville, IN Sun Feb 14, 2010

that most of our money can be used to renovate. We are looking mostly in NC but would go into SC for the right property! What and where would you suggest to get the most for little money?

Answers

4
Brunswick County NC is a good place to look. It is not as expensive as the property further to the north in Myrtle Beach and Charleston, SC. Look at Oak Island and Southport on Trulia.

Below is a link to the foreclosures in the Southport area. Foreclosed properties can be in a condition of disrepair, and yes, you can put the money in the repair and renovation. However, it can be six of one a half dozen of the other. You may be able to get a great deal on a bank-owned property, but believe me, it is not an easy process. It's buyer beware.

Generally, the market has made a major correction. Properties that are not distressed and in decent condition are comparable in price with the foreclosures taking into account their condition. It appears that the banks are not trying to "dump' properties and have taken a stronger stance.

In any case, I do recommend Brunswick County, NC. Some great beaches and much more reasonable prices that the bigger markets in SC.
If you are interested in the Charleston, SC area check out my website, http://www.carolinajoe.com , to search all of MLS. You can see all short sales and foreclosures with a click of one button. If you have any questions just give me a call at 843-557-9203. The Charleston area has a great climate, great people. The cluture & arts, historical sites, beaches, and dining are unbeatable. Charleston was recently named one of the top 15 cities to retire in, see my blog at http://www.carolinajoe.com/blog/index.cfm/2010/2/13/15-Top-R… Let me know when and how I can help.
Take care not to eliminate excellent buying opportunities by focusing only on "foreclosures." A lot has happened in the past two years with the selling market. The first and most notable is that many sellers have accepted the state of the current RE market. They know that in many situations, their biggest competition exists in the form of offerings from the distressed market......short sales and foreclosures.

Sellers finding themselves in the situation of being able to afford to discount their asking prices can offer regular sales at a price that can be competitive with the distressed sales market. Normally, we find these homes to be in better condition than their counterparts.

With this said, we strongly recommend that buyers explore all options available, possibly taking advantage of opportunities that otherwise would have been overlooked.

Best wishes with your search,

The Eckler Team
There are good buys in every area. I would strongly urge that you seek out an area that you like first, then seek out a bargain. Finding a bargain in an area that you hate wouldn't work very well no matter how low the price. Working with a good buyer's agent who can find motivated sellers is the best way to go. But find your paradise first, then the house. Good luck.