Foreclosure in Dolton>Question Details

Sweet-tee, Other/Just Looking in Dolton, IL

My house is going into foreclosure and I just found out a week ago. My old landlord sold the property about 3 months ago, to someone else that

Asked by Sweet-tee, Dolton, IL Tue Sep 22, 2009

can't Show me any paperwork stating he owns the property. There have been a lot of major problems that have not been taken care of in the home, that have been brought to his attention in this last 3 months that has not been fixed. He does not answer his phone until the first of the month. Therefore I was a little concerned and I stop paying rent to this man. Shortly after that I found out that the property was going into foreclosure. Since then this man has been contacting me trying to get me to sign a lease and asking me to take the money out of the rent for repairs and I refuse to. My old landlord has not contacted me since the day he called me at work to inform me that he sold the property. Lastly I contacted the banks attorney to see how far the foreclosure was and they informed me that it is in the beginning stages and can take up to 9-13 months before anything happens to the property, and the also informed me that the property has not been sold.

Help the community by answering this question:



I would not pay rent to anyone who cannot show they are an agent of the owner or that they are the legal title holder.

Robert is perhaps correct. May be best to move.

If the home is in Dolton, they likely will cut off water service if the owner's not paying the bill. Check with the village to get a status.

The bank will move in geologic time, and eventually an asset manager from the bank or their trustee will contact you to come up with a solution for possession.

If you're interested, you may be able to buy the home in the judicial sale, but that can take a while and you'll have to stay engaged with tracking the court status of the property.

Not a bad time to buy though....doesn't have to be this house and you may find that you can buy a much better home and not see an increase in your monthly expenses.

I doubt that anyone's going to bring you to an eviction proceeding if the landlord has abandoned the property and is going into foreclosure. The bank may do so eventually, but that's another story. Usually the trustee will get a case manager involved.

I attached an interesting article with a bunch of funny, but pathetic, stories regarding eviction, rentals, and a few scams out there. It's possible the guy claiming to be the new landlord is just running a fairly simple scam.

Any which way you cut it, trouble seems to be on the horizon. I'd check in with the village to find out if there's any local ordinances or resources that may apply to your situation.

Best of luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 22, 2009
You should contact a tenant consumer group to help you out. Your state may have laws in place regarding tenant situations in foreclosure properties. You may also want to speak to an attorney, because the last thing you want to do is wake up one morning & find out you have to be out in an hour or come home from work & find all your stuff in the street. Your local bar association may have pro bono attorneys on hand to help. Cleo Pappas at
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 22, 2009
This could be a big mess for you and your family....although it is getting more common. I am not familiar with tenant's rights in IL, however, you might want to think about moving as soon as possible. The uncertainty of your home creates a tremendous amount of stress.

Robert Greenblatt
Keller Williams
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 22, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer