Foreclosure in 94709>Question Details

HappyHome, Home Buyer in 94704

Is there a free way to get foreclosure listings?

Asked by HappyHome, 94704 Sun Jun 24, 2007

Answers

6
The previous answers are correct, the county court house is a good place to start, you should ask them which paper(s) they post them in. It is required that they be posted in a local paper and the banks do that first. Get ready for some serious competition, people methodically track foreclosures and they are not for the timid. You may also ask your agent, the ones who know it shouldn't have a problem finding it.
Work with a real estate agent ...
Depending on what you are looking for, considering Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac hold a hefty portion of US mortgages, a good place to start are their websites, fanniemae.com and homesteps.com

What you will find there are the properties and the listing agents. You won't find any "hidden gems no one else knows about."

In your area, find a real estate agent who will set up an automatic alert for REO's meeting your criteria. Depending on their system it could be just a couple of moments out of their day to get those to you.

Other than that, the other answers about checking with the courthouse are your best bets.
There are several websites where you can register to receive this information such as reo.com, some of the sites are free some charge you a fee (some cases only $7.00)
Web Reference: http://www.reo.com
Asking for foreclosure listings is a pretty broad request. If you're asking about getting the information for properties that are in the pre-foreclosure stage (before the actual auction), you can access this information for free at the county recorder's office, but that process takes considerable time and effort.

Title companies will often gather this information and pass it along to potential clients in hopes of gaining future business; however, I've found this information to be incomplete and dated.

Of course you can pay for the same information, but most of the services that I've tried aren't much better than what the title companies offer for free.

If the property goes to auction and no one buys it, ownership goes back to the lender who will then list it on the MLS as an REO. If you're interested in REOs, I have a saved property search that I created on our MLS and I'd be happy to add you to the notification list.

The real question though is, why foreclosures? Many times when a potential client inquires about foreclosures, we find that they really aren't interested in foreclosures, but rather finding a good deal. We do keep a watchful eye on pre-foreclosures & REOs, but it's part of a larger net that we cast when looking for good deals for our clients.
Try calling the county court house your interested in and ask about the foreclosure process. It might cost a few bucks for the list and you might have to spend some time researching. From my experience the court wants full payment within a day. Financing might not be a option. Send me an e-mail and I will put you in contact with a good agent.
Herman Chang, Real Estate Pro in Palm Beach Gardens, FL