Foreclosure in Cambridge>Question Details

Elena Hekimi…, Renter in Cambridge, MA

Is there a Cambridge builder that can help scout out potential homes to also give a renno estimate before the purchase?

Asked by Elena Hekimian, Cambridge, MA Sat Oct 5, 2013

Answers

3
Like John says you need to professionals, I am not only a realtor but also a licensed builder.

In Cambridge like many of the areas finer locations there is much activity with multi offers, fewer contingencies that make it difficult to compete to do your due diligence.

My suggestion is to learn as much about the process and your expectations as to what you expect the final project to look like once done.

ie: kitchen & bath renovation costs - low end - middle - or high end

roof replacement about 200 per sq - that's stripped and re-roof

Window replacement - Harvey - Anderson - Marvin (250 up plus install)

Flooring - wood - carpet - tile (new wood floors about $6 installed and finished) carpet 25+ depending on quality, tile 2 on up depending on quality plus install

Electric - update - new 2500 - 5000

HVAC - oil - gas - a/c? 3000 - 20000

Cabinets - home depot, ikea , semi custom, custom

Plumber and Plumbing fixtures

Granite -

Appliances - 3500 - 25000

redo floor plan?

Architect 3000+ - surveyor 1000 est - builder (cost plus or fixed amount with allowances)

Only you know what you expect in quality, your expectations and pocket book.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Louis
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
Hi Elena

This is a courtesy we provide to our clients. Our renovation work (Apollo Development) includes renovation estimates and consulting for our seller and buyer clients, and a number of our buyers and seller have chosen to have us perform the actual renovations/modernizations/enlargements of their new homes.

If this interests you, i can e mail you more information, or we can chat by phone.

best

Tom

Tom von Zabern
RE/MAX Destiny
Cambridge
617-354-1143
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
Elena

Great question but that sounds like you need 2 professionals to help with that process. The first person is a local Realtor that knows the market and second a good contractor that will know how to renovate the home to your level of finishes. Please let me know how I can help.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
The other very important detail to think about is does this level of renovation make sense for this neighborhood / property ? Meaning will the money I invest give me a return on my investment .

There are quite a few variables to look at.

Home type - Condo, single family, multi-family
Cost of acquisition
Cost of renovation
Will you need a variance from the city for the alterations
Flag Sat Oct 5, 2013