Foreclosure in Lansing>Question Details

Bl77, Home Owner in Lansing, MI

Is it legal for bank to enter a vacant property during the redemtion period in Michigan.?

Asked by Bl77, Lansing, MI Tue Nov 29, 2011

We have moved out of our house but had intended on trying to sell it before sheriff sale. We were unable to get it ion the market before the sale. We had been at the house and there was a sign saying it was abondoned so I called the number and told them we were still paying the bills and maintaining it. About 15 days after the sheriff sale the bank had someone goin and winterize and change the locks. Can we still even get our stuff out? I thought we had 6 months.

Help the community by answering this question:


You would expect that your six month redemption period should run with Day 1 of that redemption period being the first business day after the sheriff sale. Unless you made arrangements with the bank that you are going to vacate the premises, I would go in and get your stuff.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 1, 2012
In most cases once you move out, alot of the protections you had when it was owner occupied are gone. Most state laws state they have to hold your itens for 30 days. They do have the right to secure the property and winterize to keep pipes from freezing. You should contact the number to make arrangements to get your items. Most banks offer a cash for keys you could have taken advantage of as well. Once you move out, most often it is considered abandoned
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 29, 2011
Contact the number on the lockout posting. Tell them you need access to the property to remove the rest of your stuff. The bank had the property winterized to protect their investment against frozen pipes. They do have the right when they consider the property abandoned. They should give you access to the property during the redemption period.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 29, 2011
The redemptoion period is 6 months in Michigan. However, once a property is vacant and deemed abandoned, the foreclosing entity can move to take ownership befroe the redemption period is up. Any legal questions concerning your rights are best discussed with an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 29, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer