Elizabeth Mo…, Other/Just Looking in Moreno Valley, CA

Is it common for bank-hired contractors to destroy parts of the house during foreclosure seizure? This goes beyond just taking items of value out.

Asked by Elizabeth Morgan, Moreno Valley, CA Thu Sep 6, 2012

After seeing this article & video about a house being mistakenly foreclosed on (wrong house,) I wanted to know: is it common for contractors to not only strip the belongings, but to destroy the rest of the house (doors, windows, walls, etc) while they are at it? I can't see how this is helpful to anyone, including the bank. I tried doing some research, but couldn't find anything of this magnitude.

There is a law that if there is property worth over $300 , the property has to be stored and the owner notified, after 18 days, it has to be auctioned, and again, the owner notified. This is mainly in the Civil code for Property Management. I do not know why the bank does not have to follow the same laws. In addition, the companies that they use to clean these properties out usually post notification on the property that they have changed locks, etc. I think there is more than one oops here. This should pave the way for the banks to be helpd more accountable for who they hire to do these jobs. My dad, who was a tenant in a complex that went into foreclosure, had a garage full of tools, and caught the company pulling out his tools. It was ridiculous.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
Wow, what a crazy story! The only thing I've ever seen bank hired contractors do is break doors or locks to gain access to the building. Occasionally they will remove flooring to get rid of odors or remove drywall and cabinetry to remediate mold.