Foreclosure in Monrovia>Question Details

Diane Friedm…, Home Seller in Monrovia, CA

In a short pay in California, is the homeowner liable on income taxes for the difference between the

Asked by Diane Friedman, Monrovia, CA Thu Aug 14, 2008

balance and the final sale price since it is not a defaulted loan (as in a foreclosure where they cannot come after you for any shortage)?

Help the community by answering this question:


Well with the new law just passed check out my blog and it will tell you all about the new changes !
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 27, 2010
That depends on whether or not the lender issues you a 1099-C. Also, depending on the state law, you may be liable for state and federal income taxes or just federal. Please consult your tax advisor.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 16, 2008
Hello Diane,

There are a few variables to consider when answering this question. If you live in California. If this home is your primary residence. Please see Pam's article below as I think this is the best answer to your question. If you need a refferal to a tax advisor, let me know.


Monique Carrabba
The Reavis Group
Keller Williams Wilshire
Realtor and Eco Broker
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 16, 2008
Diane: It is best when asking about tax issues to consult your tax advisor for this information. The attached article was recently released to Realtors regarding legislation that has been passed. Good luck with your transaction.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 14, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer