joseph_cw12, Renter in Severn, MD

If my landlord gave me written notice to move out by January 31 because of disagreements of repairs, Does Maryland law allows me to stay till Feb. 3

Asked by joseph_cw12, Severn, MD Wed Jan 30, 2013

Have been living at current address for 11.3 years. We have spend money to make many repairs.We all got stuck by nails in the carpet which was already old when we moved in. My husband nearly lost his life because of that. All we ever heard was I am not spending any money. We were foolish not to got to the courts, but we spend almost $2000 to change the floors hoping that the landlord would credit us, but they never did. Then they started disrespecting us, insulting us, and telling us if we know that when we are moving we cannot go with the floors. We keep quiet trying to avoid being evicted, but one day when they were again not allowing us to get a word in, I asked them to stop their insults, disrespect and acting like they own us. They said I raised my voice to them and the very next we got a personal letter giving us 80 days to move out.It's hard moving in winter and borrowing, after paying for this rent. Hard on 12 year old autistic son who wants to graduate from current school.

Answers

2
The Maryland State Attorneys office has a department for Landlord/Tenant disputes. I suggest you contact them and best of luck. Sounds like an unfortunate situation.
http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/landlords.htm
Hi Joseph, February 3, takes you into a new month and you could be liable to pay February's rent. January, 31 is the end of the rent cycle for January that why they asked you to move by that date. Unless you had a provision in the lease agreement as it relates to tenants making repairs, the landlord does not have to give you your money back. Remember only what is in writing is what the legal system goes by.