Foreclosure in Las Vegas>Question Details

Guillermo, Other/Just Looking in Las Vegas, NV

If my house has been Auctioned, what are my rights ? how long can I stay in the property? The new buyer sent me a 30 day contract to move out.

Asked by Guillermo, Las Vegas, NV Wed Feb 3, 2010

We want to know our rights. We want to move out ASAP but finding a house for rent and packing is not that easy when both of us are working. 45 days would be reasonable.

Answers

6
I see a few things you could do.

Take a few days off from work. Do your packing then
Pack the TV first. Packing the rest will seem easier when nothing else is taking your time in the evening.
Spend the weekends packing everything you have.
have a yard sale, let people come in and pay almost nothing for everything you own. no packing needed.
Leave, forget the stuff and walk away.

4 hours a day spent packing should have you done in under 3 weeks. Then one or 2 days to move it all wherever. Finding an apartment, one of you packs, the other looks at apartments.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 3, 2010
Guillermo - Things have changed lately here in Las Vegas. The sheriff is no longer showing up and throwing you out. They used to do that and make you leave immediately, then help coordinate with you to come back and get your things.

Once your house has been foreclosed on, the amount of time you have depends on whether the bank took it back or it was bought by an investor.

When the bank takes it back, they will assign it to an asset management company and real estate agent who will come and do an occupancy check. When they discover you're still living in the property, you may be offered a cash for keys offer (money so you'll leave the property in good condition - not strip everything out of it). This could be up to $1500. They usually give you 30 days.

If an investor bought it at auction, the investor will usually come over the same day also to do an occupancy check. He may offer to work with you or ask you to leave. From your question, it sounds like he's giving you 30 days to move. This is more than reasonable and if you stay past that, he has the right to have the sheriff show up and evict you. That's something I'm sure you don't want. Basically once your house sold to someone else, you have no rights to the property. The 30 days is a gift.

I suggest using PODS. They bring the container to your front door, you fill it, they move it to your new location, and upack it. Its an easy way to move.

Its an unfortunate situation but it was at least a 7 month process to come to this. You had to have been late for at least 3 months (they usually file the Notice of Default just after you've missed your 4th payment), and then its 120 days (by law) until they can foreclose. If you weren't able to remedy it during that time, this was going to be the outcome.

I hope it works out well for you. There are a lot of agents that specialize in rentals and can help you find something quickly. Most investors are looking for clients exactly like you, caught in a bad situation, but are working and can afford to pay rent.

Heather Peck
Rosen & Company West
702-595-7380
LasVegasExpert@yahoo.com
http://www.HeatherSellsVegas.com
Nevada, does not have a redemption period so you do not have many rights. The trustee needs to file the papers and once that happens you no longer own the home, the new owner can do what ever they please at that point. Now how long it takes the trustee to file those paper can very usually it takes 2 to 3 weeks. Most buyers do not realize that they do not take title the minute they purchase a foreclosure at the trustee sale so you could check with the trustee to see if title has transferred, the letter you received my be premature. The end result is going to be you have to move out maybe you should just ask the buyer for more time.

We can help you get through the difficult times ahead, we have a program that helps victims of foreclosure get back on their feet and into a home, visit http://www.MortgageTrainingProgram.com
Thank you Aaron for a good repost / rethread.

I am too sorry for the comment that I made about your "colors" showing ...

I have ran into too many agents here in the Vegas valley, who have turned their noses up at the community consumers, and it is disheartening.

I am a cancer survivor, AML, and we lost about everything due to the illness and the consequence of being out of work for so long. Then just when we were getting back to a some-what “normal” (if you can call it that) life, I was laid off 3 times from two companies in a span of 5 months. So I know first hand how difficult it is to survive in this economy. I wish our consumers the best.

And I wish you the best as well Aaron.
Web Reference: http://jagnvrealtor.com
I want to offer any apologies to anyone who might feel offended by my comments, my intentions were certainly not to be rude.

I know that these times are tough and not everyone is a schmuck who just decided to not pay their mortgage. For a lot of people, myself included, there have been better financial times.

When someone goes to closing, it's made clear by both parties lender and borrower, that certain terms apply--one of which is default and ultimately foreclosure from non-payment. I don't think its fair to necessarily worry about the banks misfortune in the matter....it was the risk they took.

The period between the time the first payment was missed and foreclosure is time enough to figure out alternative living situations in my opinion. Usually, 120 days?

Again, my intent was not so called "abuse", but clarifying that the foreclosed, in many cases have no rights occupancy is borderline trespassing if the new owner wants to pursue it.

Perhaps it could have been transmitted better in my response and again, I offer my apologies to anyone offended.
Aaron,

Your points might be correct and true, but you could be a little less abusive and crass.

Your a RE agent correct, not a REALTOR? So you have not taken the oath. Well I have taken the oath, and REALTORS do not abuse the community members in such a obnoxious.

I hope your past clients and future possible clients see your post and see your real colors ...

PS... If you are wondering you reported you and your comments, just know that it was me ...

Guillermo,

I hope things turn for the better for you. If you need help finding a house, please let me know.

Jason Allen Gardner
NV REALTOR®
Exit Realty Imoti
8260 West Charleston Blvd. Suite #1
Las Vegas, NV 89117
(Cell) 702-806-6968 (Fax) 702-966-3732
E-Mail: jagsellslvre@yahoo.com
Web Reference: http://www.jagnvrealtor.com