Foreclosure in 75052>Question Details

Pt111498, Other/Just Looking in 75052

If a mortgage is in my spouses name only and it goes into foreclosure how will it affect my credit? And if it does how will it affect me?

Asked by Pt111498, 75052 Tue Sep 8, 2009

The credit report may show her as receiving the hit for the foreclosure initially because of non-payment, but when the foreclosure actually happens, the deed of trust will show your name as well.

Because Texas is a community property state, her debts are yours, as well as your debts being hers. A foreclosure normally reports on both. Remember that when you apply for a new mortgage loan down the road, the foreclosure will show up on a joint pull. FHA requires both husband and wife be pulled for a loan. So, even if the foreclosure shows up only under her name, it will appear on the joint report.

The effect on your score could be minor if it is reported only under her, or a big hit if it is reported under you as well.