Foreclosure in 92503>Question Details

Mrs. Love, Home Buyer in Village On The Creek...

If I have my home foreclosed on, what happens to the $7500 first time homebuyers credit I got?

Asked by Mrs. Love, Village On The Creek Condos, Bryan, TX Thu Jul 30, 2009

Do I have to pay it back when I can't even afford to keep the home?

Answers

3
Yes, if you received the $7500 first-time homebuyer credit, it must be paid back. This is paid back through your tax returns.

There may be special rules for someone losing a home to foreclosure. You need to consult a tax attorney to get answers to these questions.

For more info visit:
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=186831,00.html
This type of question should only be answered by your CPA or Attorney. If there are any Real Estate questions you may have, I will do my best to answer them, or find the answer for you.

Pepper Smith
(951) 789-1691
Yes! You have to give that back. Even if you are not foreclosing, you have to pay that back in 15 years in 15 equal installations. $7,500 tax credit is for those first time home buyer who bought in 2008.

But if you bought in 2009, the tax credit is $8,000 and this does not need to be paid back if you live there at least 3 years, that means if you sell before 3 years then you have to pay that back.