Foreclosure in 92582>Question Details

Sgosser, Home Owner in San Jacinto, CA

I was told no mello roose and said no in my escrow papers

Asked by Sgosser, San Jacinto, CA Tue Dec 18, 2012

I was hit a year later with the tax. My payment went from $1250 to $1935. I have contacted everyone possible. My title search says no mello roose.
What can I do?

Answers

4
Sgosser,

This is more likely to be your supplemental tax bill.

Your effective property tax bill actually consists of three separate levy categories:

1) General Tax Levy
2) Voter Approved Indebtedness
3) Direct/Special Assessments

This blog post covers the details and how you can research what makes up a tax bill for most any property:

"Estimating Property Taxes in CA"
http://www.trulia.com/blog/steve_ornellas_mba_re_mastersgri/…

-Steve
In your Escrow, you paid some property tax that was based on the previous tax bill.
You were given an ADVISORY anbout a SUPPLIMENTAL tax bill, which would be sent to you in 6-9 months. (You can look through your Loan papers for it).

In the next tax billing, your Property Tax would be re-figured for your new purchase price.
The previous Tax bill was based on the last ASSESSMENT and SELLING PRICE; and, obviously, was quite different than your present Assessment.
It sounds like your taxes went up $114 per month.

When Home Prices were dropping, new buyers were getting lower tax bills, and the Counties were getting less revenue.
Now, prices are increasing, and new Buyers will be getting shocked.
California is locked in to 1.25%, (irrespective of any Mello Roos or local add-ons.) due to Prop. 13.
It is possible too, that your previos owner were benefiting from Prop 13, in that they were paying less than they would have, less than their neighbors: This would have increased the difference you are seeing.

You might go down to your local Tax Assessors office and discuss it with them; but this is my input.

Good luck and may God bless
Was the bill you received a "supplemental tax bill"?
Web Reference: Http://www.joryblake.com
Hello , at one point during escrow you must have signed the disclosure regarding the taxes on your purchase. Contact your buyers agent and ask them to supply the signed NHD report. You can also call the escrow company that handled the sale.
When establishing your loan , the lender most likely also figured this into your total payment.

Jory Blake
Web Reference: Http://www.joryblake.com