Foreclosure in 19144>Question Details

Beverly Lang…, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

I was given a house in a divorce settlement, the loan was in my ex's name , he stop paying, I cant even get the info on who has the note.

Asked by Beverly Langston, Philadelphia, PA Sat Dec 15, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Good Evening Bev,

I suggest you get a Real Estate Attny

All the Best John Curci RE/MAX 215-757-2889
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
You don't need Trulia help. You need legal advice. Get off the computer and call your divorce attorney. Hope this helps and good luck!

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Considering the fact that the only agents that responded were from out side PA they even know that this is a matter for an Attorney because this is going to be part of your property settlement. Again we are Real Estate Agents and Brokers NOT Attorneys remember legal advise go to an Attorney Real Estate advise go to an Real Estate Agent or Broker.

Philip J. Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Corporation
7942 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia,PA 19152
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
The name of the mortgage holder should be publicly available, found in the equivalent of the County Clerk's office where you are. But you still need to see an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
Definitely contact your attorney. Send me an email directly, I can probably have a title company find out who holds the loan. Then at least you know that, and can try contacting them to see what they say about the situation. Attorney should be able to help with what to do. Was your ex supposed to continue making payments, or just supposed to have at least gotten you the information? Best thing to probably do if you plan on staying in the house for awhile would probably be to refinance the current loan to your own name. Might get you a better rate and a lower payment as well.

Tom McCollister
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
Rather than relying on online infromation, why not simply consult with your attorney....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
This is all way to common, we hear stories like this a lot here. I would have to wonder how good your lawyer was to allow you to get a house and assume the ex will continue to make payments to keep it up while they have no rights to it. Defaulting will damage his credit for years but you will lose the house since the loan is all in his name and I assume the deed is now just in yours. You are in a serious pickle, I would go visit your lawyer that got you there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer