Foreclosure in 94518>Question Details

Serena Nelson, Home Seller in 94518

I've been living with a friend in Concord, CA 94518 and supposedly a Trustees Sale on his house was held on

Asked by Serena Nelson, 94518 Mon Feb 25, 2008

February 14th, but we've heard nothing about the results of the sale. My friend travels extensively because of his job, and I have no idea if the house sold, or to whom, and what my legal rights are. How soon do we have to be notified? How much time will we be given to vacate the property? Technically I'm just a renter, but I'm the only one here to handle moving a household's worth of stuff. Can they send the Sherriff and put us out on the street or is there a legal eviction process that will give me written notice and a certain amount of time to move? If no one knows the answer to this, can you tell me where to go to find out? Thank you very much!

Answers

4
Serena, I worked with a new owner of a property purchased at a trustee sale. I did not have authority to offer the family anything for moving out but it was ok.

Personally, I would move out before there was any humiliating circumstance that arose. At the very least, I would check with my city/county and find out what the tenant/landlord laws are and what options you may have.

You have asked a great question that perhaps you should pose to a real estate attorney. I wish you the best!
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2008
If the property did sell - the new owner may attempt to contact you (your friend). If the property didn't sell it'll become bank property (REO) and they'll usually assign a local Agent to offer you "cash for keys". Move out peacefully and we'll give you x amount of cash.

They can just send the sheriff out and they will escort you off the property.
Your stuff will be held in storage. The doors will be re-keyed. Your half eaten breakfast will be left on the table. It's a very sad thing. The only thing you have going for you is that you might be able to use the sympathy of being a displaced renter with the sheriff. That might buy you an extra 10 minutes of packing time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 25, 2008
FIVE years ago; do you think it's too late?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 18, 2013
If your home did sale you will be notified by the new owners. It could be today or in a few months. You should receive some notice and given time to move. There are legal proceedings for matters like this. You have rights as a tenant.