Foreclosure in 93455>Question Details

Debi Brown, Home Buyer in Huntsville, TX

I see many foreclosed homes listed by RealtyTrac. It requires a credit card. Is this a valid service or can I use a realtor for 'free'?

Asked by Debi Brown, Huntsville, TX Thu Apr 11, 2013

Hi Debi,

I am an agent for Realty Trac in 93455.

There are other ways to get the information. I think Trulia and Zillow are putting some of the foreclosure info on their sites for free now. I haven't compared the accuracy though.

Realty Trac shows foreclosure activity not necessarily listings for sale. It is important to note that just because a home is in some stage of foreclosure does not mean that it is listed for sale or will be listed for sale at all or any time soon.

Sometimes the owners are negotiating a loan modification with the lender, or the homeowner will let the home go to foreclosure rather than list it as a short sale. We are also seeing the lenders sell to investors privately instead of listing as REOs. So, foreclosure activity doesn't guarantee that a property will become available nor does it give you a definite timeline on it becoming available as a listing.

If you want a list of homes available for sale now as listings on the MLS, it is best to contact a local real estate agent.

Hope this helps!

Tni LeBlanc
(805) 878-9879
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 11, 2013
Realty Trac does what it says it will do. It is a valid service in that regard. Now ask me if you need it....probably not.

Foreclosures are sold in two way 1) At auction for cash 2) On the MLS where everyone can bid. Foreclosures get dozens of offers and ultimately sell for full market value...there are no deals here anymore.

Still, working with an agent off the MLS, you will find access to those foreclosures that were not purchased at the trustee sale.

Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 12, 2013
What are you wanting to get foreclosing listings for? There are only really 2 ways to buy foreclosures: 1. All cash (no inspection, non contingencies, etc..) at foreclosure trustee sale auctions (super experts zone), or 2. As REO on MLS.

99.9% of buyers will want to buy the #2 way. And all REO's will be on the MLS, so any Realtor with MLS access can help you. Also, the REO's are drying up, there are less and less. Most of the distressed sales now are short sales.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 11, 2013
There are several sources for information regarding foreclosure and pre-foreclosure properties, including RealtyTrac, ForeclosureRadar, and others. The winning strategy when buying pre-foreclosures is to snag them BEFORE they get on the MLS (which I call The Obituaries because the opportunity is usually already dead by the time the property is listed there).
I agree with previous responses to your question - get a local agent who has local sources of information and can help you evaluate properties and move quickly and efficiently with unsolicited offers.
Keep in mind that many owners who have received a Notice of Default will cure the default (bring their payments current) before the property goes into foreclosure. Sometimes it's like looking for a subatomic particle in a haystack.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 11, 2013
Hi Debi,

I would just caution you if the property listings are from RealtyTrac, which is a company who advertises "foreclosure listings" on Trulia. RealtyTrac's primary objective is to separate you from your $$$ in exchange for providing information most any Realtor® can provide you for FREE.

Please see:

MLS Data Accuracy – Where to search if you’re “without Realtor®”

Here's a quick diagram explaining the process of actually getting to the status of an actual foreclosure (the property above is on the very first step and may never become a foreclosure):…

As far as having the most up to date listing information for ACTIVE listings team with a local Realtor® who can set you up with an automated search for what you can afford.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 11, 2013