Foreclosure in Queens>Question Details

Ronald, Other/Just Looking in South Ozone Park, Qu...

I received an auction and foreclosure letter. How can I find out who owns the house and who do I pay rent to?

Asked by Ronald, South Ozone Park, Queens, NY Mon Mar 2, 2009

I moved in on 1st June 2008 and received a foreclosure letter on the 2nd. The landlord took this letter saying that he is taking care of it. On the 17th Dec. I received another letter from the Court for a judgement of foreclosure and auction dated for Jan 30th 2009. The landlord took the other tenants letters but I took my copy to the court and was told that the property was no longer his and the auction was on the 30th. I am on section 8 and was told by the court to stop the rent cheques immediately, which I did. I once again went back to the court on the 26th of February because I did not receive any letters concerning the outcome of the auction, and was told that the auction was cancelled and the foreclosure was pending. I am concerned because i do not know if I should keep paying my rent to the landlord, {trying to get back the section 8 help}, or do I need to get a letter from the landlord or the bank stating that the property is back in the landlords' name.

Answers

2
J Douglas Montgomery’s answer
Ronald

Tried reaching you via email. I can give you the information and update you on the status of the property if you touch base with me and give me the information.....

Douglas Montgomery
hudhome@pipeline.com
Douglas@homeNY.com
Of course you should have legal representation. That being said, the foreclosure process is quite complex, I have specialized in it for many years. Once the house is sold at auction, there is a dead period until title is closed with the new buyer. It is kind of owned by the Referee that held the auction, but not really. If and when the title does pass to the new owner, you will get information from the immediately. Most likely it will be the lending institution that holds the note and mortgage.

Contact the referee and ask what is ongoing. contact the Judge that is in charge of the action. His assistant should be able to assist you. Believe me, when the time comes you will know who owns the property and who wants your rent. If you want me to check into it further, email me at Douglas@HomeNY.com and I will do my best to find out the status of the property.

Best of luck Ronald...

Douglas Montgomery, Broker
HomeNY Corp.......