Foreclosure in Chicago>Question Details

Emma, Renter in Chicago, IL

I received a notice stating that An Order for Sale and Possession and Eviction will be entered 8-23-23 on the home I am renting.

Asked by Emma, Chicago, IL Thu Aug 16, 2012

The notice also states that I have 30 days after that to move. My question is it possible to appear in court on said date and ask for an extension? I just need more time to find a decent home to rent, and also I have two apartments of furniture to move my mom rents the second floor. It will be really hard to vacate abruptly. However I do not want an eviction either. It's unfortunate that I made timely rental payments and it had to come to this. I need advice!!

Answers

6
You need to spend $150 on an attorney to give you some legal advice, but I think you have plenty of time to move. Once the foreclosure is complete and the bank takes over it usually takes them 1-4 months to make contact with you via a R E agent and that agent usually is told to offer you cash for keys so you can get some $$$ if you move within 30 days. If you do not they just start the eviction pricess which takes 3 months or so. None of this affects your credit so you should have ots of time to get out, but speak with an attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 17, 2012
Hi Philip! question for you, do you think it would be wise to contact the Atty. for the seller to ask for extension and submit a request in writing?
Emma
Flag Fri Aug 17, 2012
Hi Philip! Thanks so much for the advice!
Best regards
Emma
Flag Fri Aug 17, 2012
your going to be on the street get moving.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 17, 2012
You can try, but it probably wont be worth your extra time. Spend that time looking for a better place.
Matt: Thanks for responding back. I am looking I have some properties to view today!
Best Regards
Emma
Flag Thu Aug 16, 2012
Emma,

You should also start looking asap. If you haven't already. If you don't have a Realtor assisting you I would be glad to.

Laura Rivera - Broker Associate/Realtor
laura100rivera@yahoo.com
http://www.laurariverarealtor.com
Si, yo hablo español!
First Class Service Because it Matters to Me
Betancourt Realty
2041 W. Division Street
Chicago, IL 60622
Hi Laura! Thanks so much for your immediate response. I actually have some properties to view today. I will definitely keep your number should I need further assistance.
Best Regards
Emma
Flag Thu Aug 16, 2012
Since this is directly affecting you, YES, you should appear in court with all of your documents (lease, canceled checks, etc) and state your case. If you have an attorney that you work with, go with him/her.
Bill: Thanks so much for the advice!
Best Regards
Emma
Flag Thu Aug 16, 2012
Yes, you have the right to request an extension. You might want to do it in the form of a written motion. Motion for extension of time. State why you need an extension and when you will be out. You can also call the attorney for the seller and ask him does he object to the extension. if he does not that would be an agreed motion for an extension of time or an unopposed motion.
Hi Terry! Thank you for your immediate reply, it was very helpful!
Best Regards
Emma
Flag Thu Aug 16, 2012