Foreclosure in Little Rock>Question Details

Renee, Renter in Little Rock, AR

I ran across a rental online which I later discovered is an REO listed with a local realtor...is it legit to rent an REO?

Asked by Renee, Little Rock, AR Fri Sep 10, 2010

Answers

6
Beware--I just had one of my listings show up on Craig's list as a rental so there is a scam out there where people are using listing information out there to set-up a bogus rental in the hope that someone will wire the deposit money to them--the one set-up on my listing asked for the wire transfer to be sent to Africa--stating the homeowners had been transferred there.
Renee:

I would not rent a REO property. If you will give me the MLS# I will get you the detail on the home you are interested in.
Thanks so much, David! I ran across the rental listing this morning so perhaps the buyer is jumping the gun on trying to rent prior to closing..at any rate I think I'll move on :) We'd ideally like to rent a home that we could then purchase in a year's time without getting involved in a lease/purchase but no such luck thus far. I really appreciate your help with this...we'll keep looking :)
I've never heard of an REO being rented and don't see how they could but you could call John Mason's office direct at 985-0755, extension 221 and ask them if they ran such an ad. The house is located at 4 Ridgeton in Cherry Creek and is currently listed for sale by Mason & Co Realty. The price is $160,000 and the status is "Under Contract" meaning they have an accepted offer waiting to close. The offer was accepted on 9-1-10. If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.
Thanks, David..the MLS # is 10259299...I believe the realtor is the one who placed the rental ad...I was unaware banks were willing to let their REO properties be rented so I wanted to check with someone who'd know better than I :)
Renee...No...it's not legit. Someone got their wires crossed. It either used to be a rental before the foreclosure OR it's no longer a foreclosure...someone bought it and now renting it. If you give me the MLS # I'll look it up for you.