Foreclosure in 92532>Question Details

Joe Anthony, Home Seller in 92532

I own a home in a area where there are many foreclosures and homes for sale below market, so that make my home

Asked by Joe Anthony, 92532 Wed Feb 6, 2008

worth less than I owe.. An addtion to that I had a accident where it put me out of work and now I'm behind in payments, what are my option?
What's a short sale?

Answers

4
I know of no exceptions to the policy of almost every bank and mortgage lender to require proof of financial hardship before allowing a residential short sale, and entirely forgiving the borrowers debt.

An accident combined with unemployment sounds like a financial hardship to me. The bank will require it to be thoroughly documented.

The article linked below tells you a little about the patience and risk tolerance required from a seller and the buyer in a short sale situation. My opinion of short sales for buyers? High Risk, Low Reward.

Web Reference
http://www.brokeragentnews.com/news/residential/2008_2/2_4_2…

To sum up the article. 1. Buyer waits a long time for the bank to anything. 2. Buyer has to sign banks counteroffer that is full of anti-consumer clauses. 3. Buyer has to pay nearly full market value. (discount, if any is much tinier than you think it will be) 4. Bank can cancel the sale at any time up until close of escrow, with no consequence to the bank and no compensation to the buyer

In my not so humble opinion The reasons why the failure is above 80% are:

1. Many sellers don't qualify, they think that being upside down and hating it is enough.
You must also be undergoing hardship not of your own making. such as illness, unemployment or natural disaster. - this sounds like Joes situation.

2. Prospective buyers think that these are bargains, so very few buyers offer close to full market value. The banks will not approve sales at huge discounts, tiny discounts: yes.

3. The wait, 4. the paperwork, the wait 5. the anti-buyer addenda, the long wait 6. the uncertainty of the sale, still waiting 7. the perception, if not a reality, of bad faith dealing by the bank loss mitigation managers.

I linked below to an article in Broker Agent News by Steve Stovall. He gives a pretty good description of the short sale process, seller, property, paperwork, and buyer requirements
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Dot, That is some great advice you gave Joe.
Joe, you can call the loss mitigation department of your bank/lender. I know of someone who did this today. She owes 4 payments and tomorrow would be the date of her breach.

She was able to pull one payment together and they put her on a payment plan to get caught up. Would that help you in your situation? You can also ask them to lower your interest rate and many times they will do that. They would much rather work things out with you than to have another foreclosure on their books.

The lady I know that did this called and spoke to one gentleman in that department and didn't get things worked out. I told her to immediately call back and speak to someone else. She was fortunate enough to talk to a very caring gentleman who worked it out for her.

Sometimes you just have to swallow any pride that you have and "take the bull by the horns" and tell a perfect stranger your situation - some of those strangers have the power to help you!

Hope this helps!
Web Reference: http://www.DotChance.com
A short sale is where you ask the bank to ok a sale for less than you owe. ( in a nut shell )
Web Reference: http://www.soldnew.com